Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get 1 gal growlers?

Karps! I also picked up a bunch of quart mason jars there and pressure canned 20 quarts of starter wort. It was my first time attempting this so we'll see if there was any time savings. Usually its tough finding the time during the week to make the starter so now i can just dump a few of these into the growler with a yeast pack and and i'm good to go.

Hey Scutley, welcome aboard! Glad you're loving it. My first few batches were okay at best, but I'm stubborn.
Nice, Davy, you live near Arbor and work near Brewtopia! (There is a brewer's meeting first tuesday of every month, 7pm at Brewtopia) I recently visited Road Trip on 347, 52 taps, plenty of craft beer.

brewtopia is downtown port?
I had herd there was a LHBS down there. I know Port Jeff Brew is down there as well. Road Trip is 347 and Ramp Ford?

Yes, Brewtopia is on Main St, in the mall. Road Trip is formerly Eldorado Grill, next to the Taco Bell that they are rebuilding. I do think that's right by Ramp. At least one guy at Port Jeff Brewery is a homebrewer, and happy to talk.

Hey guys, Long Island brewer here. I live in N Bellmore for now but have been moving all around the area basically every year. Hempstead, Massapequa, Hicksville, etc. Been brewing on and off for a couple years now but only about 4 or 5 extract brews under my belt.

I've been to arbor which was very nice and the women there were very helpful. I also went to Kedco more recently. While it was very small and tucked in the back of a wine making store the two guys who own it were very knowledgable and more than willing to answer my stupid questions.

Just got a new 8 gallon brew kettle for full boils and a couple 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon glass carboys so I'm excited to start a pipeline of extract and partial mash batches. Have a Citra IPA that I should start soon and then a Peanut Butter Brown soon after that! Can't wait!

Just finished tapping my second English bitter and it's already half-way gone, lol. Thinking about brewing next weekend after we're back from vacation. The bitter was right on target: nice blend of malt and hops with a dry finish (my first attempt was a bit too malty). I think that I'm going to cut the amount of black malt in half as I was aiming for a copper color but ended up with a light brown beer with a copper undertone.

I have a 10 gal aluminum pot with two ports drilled- one for ball valve and one for thermometer or can be plugged- that I'm looking to part with. Asking $50 obo. Pick up in Great Neck. Let me know if you're interested and ill send a pic. It's a heavy duty industry gradepot. not a thin turkey pot.

Ill throw in an IC for free, it has a small kink in the bottom but is nowhere near cracked or leaking. I got a plate chiller so don't need it anymore.

Another Islander here. I'm out in Yaphank. I have 30 gallons under my belt and I am tinkering with BIAB all grain brews which are working out nicely. Cheers to us islanders. :tank:

Kahler,

You should post this in the "For Sale" section of the boards. Many more people will see it there.

We should meet, I'd be interested to see your process, and hear your input on mine. I meet other brewers at Brewtopia in PJ, the first tuesday of every month. I guess we're a club, we certainly share brews and reviews.
I'll send you my email and cell#.

okay.. not brewing today, but tapped my first keg last night since about a 6 month dry spell.. double IPA but goes down real easy.. probably dry hopped a little too early, fermentation may have been going on still and lost some aroma.. still psyched though

Hey guys, I'm sure someone already answered this question on this thread, but does anyone know where I can get my Co2 tank filled somewhat near Bellmore?

Look for a welding shop.. I use triweld in deer park

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Hi All,
Just getting back into it again.

I love Kedco in Farmingdale. Been there on and off for over twenty some odd years (maybe longer).

Clinton Welding Supply Co., Inc.
40 Jericho Tpke.
Jericho, NY 11753

they will fill up your tank

no trade and nice price

Air Weld

94 Marine Street
Farmingdale, New York 11735
631-694-4343
Fax 631-694-6387
7:00 - 4:30 Monday - Friday
8:00 - 12:00 Saturday

Any of my fellow suffolk county folks have water treatment tips? Thinking my half distiller half tap mix is leading to more bitterness than I want.

Mike, I use straight tapwater, so do most of the brewers I know here. You can get your local report online, search SCWA. Two of my batches have tasted sharply bitter, both used citra hops, one had some mold on it. I've also had at least two that seemed under-hopped. What recipes are you using? Do others find the beer too bitter?

Mine always seems under hopped as well for the amount i use.. Tap water and campden

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

My water (in East Northport) is very soft. I used the B'run Water software to balance my water for an English bitter, only to find that all I had to do is add a small amount of gypsum. The beer turned out great, with a nice balance of malt and hops.

As my next two brews will be an American ale and an American IPA, I'm going to use the same water profile.

I leave my water out overnight, and don't bother with tablets for Chlorine; no problems so far.

Is anybody going to the Brewers East End Revival (BEER) homebrew club tomorrow? I'm finally making it to a meeting

No, I don't. (Though I am pretty new) A nanobrewer told me to filter it in summer, when there is more chlorine in it. But a homebrewing water engineer for SCWA told me that chlorine is very volatile, and evaporates at 80f. Apparently it also evaporates from standing water pretty quickly. Some HME recipes specify filling the top off water while boiling. I believe this is to let the chlorine evaporate. I made a grain batch that was too strong, so I tried mixing some tapwater in half the bottles. Those didn't carb well, I believe because the chlorine weakened the yeast. Had I boiled the water first, I think it would have worked.
We have excellent tap water on LI. You can access the water report for your local well on the SCWA website.

I've used the LI tap water for years with no discernible negative effects.

The filtered water tastes a little cleaner but I've never had a bad batch either way.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've been trying to get to a meeting for like 6 months now. It's tough to get out for a whole night when you have a baby at home. It's also tough to squeeze in a brew session

My water (in East Northport) is very soft. I used the B'run Water software to balance my water for an English bitter, only to find that all I had to do is add a small amount of gypsum. The beer turned out great, with a nice balance of malt and hops.

As my next two brews will be an American ale and an American IPA, I'm going to use the same water profile.

I leave my water out overnight, and don't bother with tablets for Chlorine; no problems so far.

I'm curious, We have the water report from suffolk county water: But I would like to brew from the pipe that flows under the road in Cold Spring Harbor, ashes of the Clam Bar are the spot on the map.
Any Thoughts? I'm boiling and cooling before using at the moment

I'm curious, We have the water report from suffolk county water: But I would like to brew from the pipe that flows under the road in Cold Spring Harbor, ashes of the Clam Bar are the spot on the map.
Any Thoughts? I'm boiling and cooling before using at the moment

The water should be fine, but you could always send it out for analysis of you're interested.

Back