Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OG-wan Kenobi

Arcane Artisanal Ales
Reaction score
I appreciate your response. And am sorry if I bother you but is that 4 ounces of cocoa husk in the mash for a 5 gallon batch? If that’s the case and your getting a solid chocolate I am most certainly glad I asked because a was thinking a pound.

BeerFst

Reaction score
yeah i brew to 5-5.5 in the kettle and put 4.5-5 in the fermenter cause I ferment in a corny. That particular grist is 19.5lbs (including the husk), so its really only like 2%.

I thought it was VERY present particularly when pulling the sweet wort off, but you could certainly go higher. I also use 2oz of nibs (from the same source) post ferm (not really a secondary vessel, i just throw them in after crashing out the yeast for a few days, similar to my dry hop method). The husk came in a half pound bag at the chocolate place I got them from so i wanted to do at least two batches. I felt like i found some reference somewhere, it might have even been on the bag, suggesting the 4oz. But I was able to find the stuff online, and they say use all 8oz for a 5g batch.

Mānoa Chocolate - Brewing Chocolate

if anyone is planning to place an order with them, i suggest trying some of their chocolate from different regions. unfortunately i couldn't try any for other allergy concerns, but my wife said it was pretty neat how the chocolate changes from one location to another. There are two sets of mountain ranges on oahu that kind of give you east, west, and valley areas that bugs and plant life don't typically cross. Chocolate isn't self pollinating, it relies on pollen from other plants, so it influences the flavor of the end chocolate significantly. Not terribly dissimilar from hops and grapes, though they clearly have different mechanisms of terroir.

blueLion

Reaction score
Howdy, brewing mead in Smithtown using one or two fruits and herbs. Recent batches include beach plum, wineberry, prickly pear, ginger, reishi.
Anyone else going to West Meadow beach for spring water?

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy, brewing mead in Smithtown using one or two fruits and herbs. Recent batches include beach plum, wineberry, prickly pear, ginger, reishi.
Anyone else going to West Meadow beach for spring water?
Welcome to the forum. I didn’t know there was spring water at West Meadow beach, might check it out. I’m planning a coffee mead, made with coffee blossom honey.

Hoppy2bmerry

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
CB7D987E-05F8-48FE-B41C-C5F1AFB59588.jpeg

Brewers East End Revival (B.E.E.R.) is meeting on Monday October 18 @ 7:30 @ Brickhouse Brewery West Main St. Patchogue. We do a couple raffles, and share home brew when the meeting is adjourned. Meetings are free and you need not be a paid member to attend.

Hoppy2bmerry

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
$30 Ticket to Long Island Brew Fest on October 16, 2021 from 1-5pm. Get Early bird tickets now! Use Code BEER and save 40% on tickets!! Buy now before this deal is gone! Deal ends October 11th
Try over 100 styles of Beer at Tanger Outlets Deer Park
Tickets and info
www.eventbrite.com/e/168603137523/?discount=BEER
When: October 16th 2021
Where: Tanger Outlets Deer Park
152 The Arches Circle
Session: 1-5pm

Hoppy2bmerry

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is a stein brew the hot rocks brew? Cause that’s cool as hell
That’s correct. The method adds sooty and smokey notes to the brew… okay if it isn’t too strong, but I haven’t sampled or made one (from wort share) that was really “good”.

BeerFst

Reaction score
I know nothing about this style or how it’s meant to be made but could it be a flame vs ember problem? the flames causing too much soot on the rocks? Would it be out of bounds to do this with charcoal instead of logs?

Hoppy2bmerry

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about this style or how it’s meant to be made but could it be a flame vs ember problem? the flames causing too much soot on the rocks? Would it be out of bounds to do this with charcoal instead of logs?
I have read that essentally rinsing the hot rocks, by first dipping them in water greatly reduces the sootiness, but heat is also lost extending the time needed. Last year, I had a little misshape - my fermentor dropped into the street as I was loading it into the car and the bung I had in the lid went missing. Long story short, I poured off the remaining wort into a pot to bring to a boil and left a lot of black crud behind in the bottom of the original bucket. That made a difference in the beer when it was done, for the better.
As far as heating the stones, I suppose charcoal could be used and ash would still make it into the wort, but not much soot, and at a higher cost. I can’t even guess how many bags would be needed for this large scale. After a storm, wood is free, right?

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A friend has 5 ball lock soda kegs available for free. They may contain soda or residue. He is near me in Rocky Point. He probably wouldn't refuse a few homebrews in exchange. Message me or reply here if you can use them.

MikeTHIS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend has 5 ball lock soda kegs available for free. They may contain soda or residue. He is near me in Rocky Point. He probably wouldn't refuse a few homebrews in exchange. Message me or reply here if you can use them.
I’ll take two! Please!

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes looking forward to meeting you @Hoppy2bmerry - thanks for the assist there! And @JohnSand thank you as well - I’ll get you some beer next time up on the north shore!
I appreciate that, but there's no pressure or hurry. Hoppy2BMerry brought plenty of beer.
If you do happen to be in the neighborhood, I always have beer on tap.