Who has used a Burton Union?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zepth

Reaction score
Directions here for those with no idea what I'm talking about. I'm thinking of building one of these, both for saving of precious beer and I typically run a fairly cramped fermenter space where a little more tubing and a lower blow off reservoir may not fit well.

Had a couple of questions that don't really seem to show up anywhere else. The main one is that "Do you need to worry about blow-off when using this?" From the way it is described the answer is no. But I recall a couple weeks ago when the krausen in my 3787 starter was about as thick as meringue and could almost stand a spoon up.

This leads me to believe it could be great for reducing loss but not eliminating it. For my needs having a blow off tube from the union is just not feasible. Best guess would be to use a larger container for the Burton and create more pseudo-headspace.

Any answer or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've seen those set up with multiple fermenters as blow offs. It always looked to me to just be a way to get the krausen they felt made the beer bitter out of the way? I just used a blow off jug with no return.

Never heard of it. I thought you were talking about Mangrove Jack's Burton Union yeast :) I'm not sure I actually lose enough beer through my blowoff to make it worthwhile. However, it does look like a good way to harvest yeast as long as everything is sanitized before installation. Let us know if you do it. I'd be curious how it works out.

Back