Who has made Juice wine? Tell us your story!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Sky Pilot

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I hope all is well. I am enjoying some concord grape wine that I made from Welches grape juice and Champaign yeast, and (according to my records) 1 1/2 cups of sugar. OG 1.096. FG 0.986
I started on the 11th of July 2021 around the time I made my first batch of beer.
I did not keep good records, and I am not sure when I bottled it. It did not taste very good 7/25/2021 when I noted: "stopped bubbling, yeast flavor, sweet."
Now: the smell of concord grape, very dry, clean finish. I enjoy this better than most commercially available labels.
This first batch was made from a brand name, I will try the same recipe with the store brand and wine yeast, as I am out of champaign yeast. I like this recipe. I will not change it for now.

Coffee49

Reaction score
I am seeing some dry concord at the fingerlake wineries this year, the back sweetening will determine the RS, I made a dry Ives in 2019 and backsweetened it with a cup of sugar, it turned out very good.

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
Northland blueberry, blackberry, acai. Various cranberry/other fruit (cranberry pomegranate atm) mango peach, concord grape, apple cherry, guava. SWMBO and I really like the fruit wines I make from bottled and frozen concentrated juice. I'm sure there are others I have done as it is my preferred goto for must.

jeebuzz

Reaction score
We like pear and blackberry when they are producing, but have adopted a juice white wine for our family "table wine" and always have a batch going! Super simple to source, make and clarifies really well.

White Juice Wine - 5-gallon Batch
(5) - Simple Truth Organic™ White Grape 100% Juice - 64oz ($2.49/e at Kroger)
8 lbs sugar
(1) - Red Star Premier Blanc Wine Yeast
(1) - tbsp Yeast Nutrient
(2) - gallons water +-

Wife likes this base recipe as is, but I also make one for me and add the following:
1 1/2 tsp Grape Tannin
2oz medium toasted White Oak chips

We like it so much I am thinking about starting to keg it to make things even easier, more research to do there though.

Last edited:

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
I make concord grape all the time, its my favorite. Right now have a gallon batch of Black Cherry and Concord grape finishing up. They always come out amazing. I usually get the OG up to 1.100 so they come out a bit of sweet.
I've also used a tropical mix that made an amazing wine.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made 4 gallons of apple/black cherry with juice from Aldi. About 50/50 apple/cherry. Pitched S-04 and added 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient.

The black cherry gave it a nice bit of sourness, and the ale yeast didn't completely dry it out. Fermented in primary 2 months, bottled and carbed to about 2.8 vols.

cherrycider.jpg

jkuhl

Reaction score
I made a blueberry wine about a month ago. It's still on secondary fermentation and will be for a while, but from what I tasted, it was pretty good.

I used about 3 of these, RW Knudsen Blueberry Juice, in a one gallon batch with about a pound of sugar and enough water to finish it to a gallon.

I'm waiting for it to age and finish whatever slow fermentation it might still be doing (it might be done by now, I just haven't measured it for a while) but I'm looking forward to drinking it.

JordanfromOK

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I hope all is well. I am enjoying some concord grape wine that I made from Welches grape juice and Champaign yeast, and (according to my records) 1 1/2 cups of sugar. OG 1.096. FG 0.986
I started on the 11th of July 2021 around the time I made my first batch of beer.
I did not keep good records, and I am not sure when I bottled it. It did not taste very good 7/25/2021 when I noted: "stopped bubbling, yeast flavor, sweet."
Now: the smell of concord grape, very dry, clean finish. I enjoy this better than most commercially available labels.
This first batch was made from a brand name, I will try the same recipe with the store brand and wine yeast, as I am out of champaign yeast. I like this recipe. I will not change it for now.
Hey Sky Pilot,
Besides the yeast selection, your recipe is the same as the 1st wine I made a few years ago when I got into homebrewing. I got the recipe from Brian & Derika @ City Steading.
1 gal of GV or any 100% grape juice, teaspoon of Fleischmann's active dry, & 2.5 cups of white sugar. Give it a month to settle and enjoy. It's usually better young. Comes out sweet & tastey.

Attachments

Meadini

Reaction score
I made a batch back in February with store bought apple juice, fajc, 2 tsp cinnamon and brown sugar to 1.075. I used 71b yeast. This batch had a funky aftertaste for months, but it turned the corner last month. I just back sweetened it yesterday and it turned out quite nice.