Who has a recliner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I need new furniture in the living room. I'm thinking about a recliner, maybe a double. What better to sip homebrew and stare at a flatscreen? If you have one, which brand and how do you like it?

Every man should own a recliner, I can't believe it's not a law. As for brands I've had a few different ones, Lay-Z-Boy seems ok I guess. Just buy a big one, the bigger the better.

Sub'd. We have one and SWMBO and I both like it, but it's old and needs replacement. I'll eavesdrop on your suggestions.

Have a recliner at each end of my sectional. I'd recommend a free standing recliner though. Less access for dogs and wives.
Cats will still find a way, and smaller dogs.
That said I'd get a La-z-boy...

Have a recliner at each end of my sectional. I'd recommend a free standing recliner though. Less access for dogs and wives.
Cats will still find a way, and smaller dogs.
That said I'd get a La-z-boy...

Well said. The free standing is much more of a challenge for the women to figure out. My cat is undeterred however.

I built (on the cheap) a home theatre in the basement. I'd sell my soul (if I had one) for a recliner there, but with the big a$$ couch (that the wife says stays), there's no room.

Pi$$es me off when she then buys this ugly ikea metal chair, that nobody ever sits in (especially her) since it is so uncomfortable and it has the magic property of stumping your toes if you ever get even somewhat close to it.
Ikea-PS2012-knappa-6-thumb-620x410-39194.jpg

I swear, I hate that chair. One of these days, I'm gonna pay it back for all those stumped toes. And I'll make it look like an accident. I bet even the wife will (secretly) be glad when it's gone.

My ol' dog Tuck is more of a recliner now. Hips bother some these days, his do too.

I miss having a recliner. Our couch takes up most of the living room. No space for a chair too. I recline on the couch instead.

We bought this Lane double recliner - it's as big as a regular sofa. Love it. It does not have levers, though, it has spring loaded footrests, so you have to apply pressure to the footrest with your legs to close them. Fine with me now, we'll see what I think when I'm 86. It's leather, which is great year round.

The back is kind of f-ugly, so we had to get a console table to go behind it...and of course then I needed matching end tables...note the chair in the background with the cat snoozing. That is also Lane, swivel but not rock, very comfy.

Note going to try the picture again. It WAS right side up....hmmm

EDIT We also have a single recliner nearby, and two in the basement for the media area. We're recliner loving fools! The three are all Laz-i-boys, they are also leather and wonderfully comfy.

sofa.jpg

Last edited:
I swear, I hate that chair. One of these days, I'm gonna pay it back for all those stumped toes. And I'll make it look like an accident. I bet even the wife will (secretly) be glad when it's gone.

Ha!

Your best bet is to just make it disappear. Probably no one will speak of it. You'll both know what happened, but you will pretend it never existed. If asked, you can always say you donated it to someone who really needed it. You don't want to lie, so donate it.

(stubbed)

Edit: I have a recliner. Need to get out of it.

I got one a few years ago and love it. Mine is Ashley furniture brand. Parts of it are real leather and parts are fake and the fake parts are showing wear already. It's comfortable but when this one is shot I will buy a lazy boy.

We've a Franklin sectional with four recliners. Two have cup holders and a flip top compartment between them. The other two have a shelf with cup holders and lights that can flip up to make a sofa. We fed a surge strip to the shelf so our tablets and such can be plugged in while we use them. There's also a drawer that doesn't look like a drawer. And they also have two speed vibration. It's basically a microfiber upholstered arsenaliner seating system.

I built (on the cheap) a home theatre in the basement. I'd sell my soul (if I had one) for a recliner there, but with the big a$$ couch (that the wife says stays), there's no room.

Pi$$es me off when she then buys this ugly ikea metal chair, that nobody ever sits in (especially her) since it is so uncomfortable and it has the magic property of stumping your toes if you ever get even somewhat close to it.
Ikea-PS2012-knappa-6-thumb-620x410-39194.jpg

True story.....I once had a chair just as ugly and uncomfortable.....I sat it bay the curb with a Free sign on it and it disappeared.....great! I came home from work a couple of days later......it was back sitting on the curb.....they brought the dang thing back!😆😆

Ohhhh...Lazyboy rocking recliner.....Benin away from home three days now....I miss it more than the dog!

I know you would enjoy a big fat comfy recliner, I have a full leather wingback that doesn't take up a whole of room that I enjoy! Good luck!

I have a Laz-i-boy that did not divorce me. I love it. It does not swivel and I always wondered if I would have liked it to. We (the latest SWMBO and I) have a sectional with 2 recliners in the end pieces. They don't get much use since the coffee table where the remotes live would have to be pushed so far away. The recliner was moved to make room for the sectional and Maggie the fat American Bulldog has claimed it for herself and loves it as much as I did.

Love my recliner. Not sure what brand. I'd check on the latest reviews to know if you are getting a quality one.

My only complaint (besides it's an UGLY pattern) is that it holds onto animal hair. When we bought new couches we made sure to get a fabric that doesn't hold onto the hair. Vacuuming is so much easier!

Ok, one other complaint: I like that the chair swivels, but our dogs always push on our legs to get petted and it spins the chair around. So I'm 50-50 on whether a swivel is a good thing or not.

When I was shopping for a recliner several years ago, I wanted the back of the chair to be able to recline without needing to put up the footrest. A sales guy told me that only La Z Boy recliners have that feature, and that seems to be true.

I do not like recliner. Not comfy to me.

Much prefer couch and ottoman.

The couch-recliner we have supports your knees, as do our lazyboys, with no gap to the foot rest part. This keeps us from hyper-extending our poor old knees, which resent such treatment. Also gives more room for a cat to lay between your knees instead of on your lap!

We also have a couch and chairs with ottomans, also quite comfy. We have more seating in this house than you can shake a stick at!

We have two La-Z-Boy double recliners in the living room instead of the typical couch. They are comfortable for the average height person. These recliners have D-ring pulls under the arm rests for reclining. Nice option when one arm is in a sling for a couple months. The La-Z-Boy Papa-San is huge. All my length fits in it very comfortably.

The couch-recliner we have supports your knees, as do our lazyboys, with no gap to the foot rest part. This keeps us from hyper-extending our poor old knees, which resent such treatment. Also gives more room for a cat to lay between your knees instead of on your lap!

We also have a couch and chairs with ottomans, also quite comfy. We have more seating in this house than you can shake a stick at!

We've the over sized and over stuffed ottomans which essentially turn whatever section of the couch they are against into a chaise lounge.

Wish I had a bigger garage so I could stick an old rocking chair in there next to my brew rig. What'd be better than brewing, rocking, drinkin some brewskies, maybe a cigar? Hot damn.

Lazyboy is a good brand and it is pricey. You can get a comfy recliner that will last for less. I'd suggest you have a seat in it before you buy, too big or too smal will be uncomfortable and the reclining mechanism... Stay away from this kind, it sucks.

image.jpg

Lazyboy is a good brand and it is pricey. You can get a comfy recliner that will last for less. I'd suggest you have a seat in it before you buy, too big or too smal will be uncomfortable and the reclining mechanism... Stay away from this kind, it sucks.

Ours have those. No problems.

Ours have those. No problems.

I'm glad you don't, but I've had one where the cable broke after warrantee of course, and I have to give a little back kick to the footrest when I get up. (Hubby has the same issue) Would much rather have a lever.... Or maybe I'm just getting old and need a motorized one;)

La-Z-Boy is the way to go. They make several varieties - pick carefully because they are expensive (but worth in imho) and last a long time. Single seater makes sure that everyone knows it's yours. Mine rocks (no swivel) when not reclined but is most comfortable when reclined. I like the side lever action. :beard:

Back