Who grows giant pumpkins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I tried for the last couple years to grow pumpkins with 300lb potential and have had no luck in the far back corner of my property. They always got disease or were attacked by borers or the pumpkins dropped off the vine. One year a hail storm killed them. So this year I decided to try them in my main garden where I have had success growing regular pumpkins and where I could take better care of them.

I added compost, composted manure and 10-10-10 fertilizer to the soil and started the seedlings indoors so I could get a jump on the weeds. Well, they did much better this year. From 4 plants 2 of them produced pumpkins. Once I had a healthy starter pumpkin on a plant I pulled off all the others and pinched the ends on the vines. I fertilized with miracle grow 2x and mounded up soil and compost next to the vine by the pumpkin where it was growing new roots.

After all that they seem to have stopped growing at about 1.5 feet across, no where near the 300 lb mark. They are still turning orange so I have not picked them yet. Not bad but not my goal either.

So has anyone else had luck growing super huge pumpkins and have any tips for me?

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/ has a great message board that was really helpful. One guy sent me some seeds (didn't have time to plant them this year, will do next year) I think you have to have a really good seed stock to start with (some of these are from 1000lb pumpkins)

Also you may want to use some of the pesticides that get taken up into the plant, it makes the pumpkin inedible (because of the pesticide in it) but keeps any bugs from snacking on it. I didn't want to do this because I would like to use the pumpkin in the end. Be very careful of the vine borers.

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/ has a great message board that was really helpful. One guy sent me some seeds (didn't have time to plant them this year, will do next year) I think you have to have a really good seed stock to start with (some of these are from 1000lb pumpkins)

Also you may want to use some of the pesticides that get taken up into the plant, it makes the pumpkin inedible (because of the pesticide in it) but keeps any bugs from snacking on it. I didn't want to do this because I would like to use the pumpkin in the end. Be very careful of the vine borers.

Those pictures are crazy, I would almost be afraid of a pumpkin that large. :D

I can't wait to give this another shot next year!

Back