Who ferments in 1/2 bbl sanke kegs? Advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, this year I've started brewing 10 gallon batches also bought an stc1000+ and a chest freezer to ferment in. My original chest freezer would fit two buckets or two carboys. My brother broke it and replaced it with another that appeared identical however it will not fit two fermentors.
I looked into SS conicals, but the expense and size of these has out me off this path. I had wanted to pursue this option a while back, but my previous freezer allowed me to use existing equipment.
I like the look of this: http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermentor-Kit-with-Thermowell.html
and I saw new kegco SS kegs on eBay for $120 new. They're only 23.5" tall. Perfect.
I was wondering seeing if anyone had ever added a ball valve like you would when converting to a keggle? I suppose there'd be no way to do this without modifying the top of the keg and I'd rather avoid that.
What methods do you guys use for transferring the finished beer into serving kegs?
My stc1000+ has a temp probe that resembles aquarium equipment. (Small black plastic nub looking thing) can I just insert this into the thermowell I posted?
Any advice for me here?
I also just purchased a chugger pump to use mainly for my plate chiller, but any way to use it to transfer finished beer?
Anything obvious I'm overlooking?
Thanks all!

I ferment in a half barrel snake keg. I use a 2" tri-clamp and 2" stainless blind with out a gasket. works just fine for me. I always give it about 14 days to do its thing then I just rack into either a bottling bucket, or straight into my corny kegs.

IMG_20150822_160253849_HDR.jpg

I'm using a keg to ferment as well. I haven't used it yet though. I plan to use a sanke valve and just pump it into my serving keg

I've done it before. I transferred using a regular racking cane, some tubing and CO2 pressure. No mod's needed to the keg (except pulling out the center). Works great!

Plenty of guides online how to do it. Search "pressure transfer".

IMG_9728.jpg

If using the brewers hardware kit, how do you rack with c02?

I have a Sanke with the Brewers Hardware kit. I love it.

I use an MFL to barb fitting (see below) and some tubing, attached to the blowoff port. When I need to rack to serving kegs, I connect that to my CO2, hook tubing up to the racking cane, and apply 5 psi or so.

It transfers pretty clear (especially the first keg) as I never move the keg after putting it in the fermentation fridge, and I cold crash. So the trub is never agitated. The second keg can pick up some trub as you lower the racking cane, but it's still not bad.

I highly recommend the system. Sure, I'd prefer a bling conical, but that's expensive and fitting it in a fermentation fridge might be hard...

View attachment 1442178736091.jpg

View attachment 1442178746457.jpg

I transfer from my Sankes with a spear (the Sanke dip tube) that I shortened by about 1". Instead of replacing the retaining ring, I just put some weights on the coupling to hold it all in place during the transfer. One thing I've noticed about this method is that the large diameter of the spear results in the beer moving more slowly as it enters the spear. Because of this, even though it is sitting very, very close to the yeast cake, it picks up very little sediment. I attain cleaner transfers with this method than with a racking cane in a carboy.

Sanke Transfer.jpg

I wouldn't waste money on that Brewers hardware kit. It's flipping expensive. You can make something similar in function for cheap: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=447780

I use sanke keys exclusively to ferment in, but I convert mine to corny kegs for simplicity of cleaning. They work awesome and pressure ferment and force transfer, so my beer doesn't come in contact to oxygen until it's in a glass.

image.jpg

Back