Who else thinks the Whitbread yeast strain matches nicely w/ American Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I have been brewing almost exclusively with the Whitbread yeast strain lately (Safale s-04, White Labs WLP007, or Wyeast Whitbread) and love the way it compliments american hops in paler beers. The yeast is crisp and tangy, the tang almost reminding me of mango. This tang works perfectly with fruity, citrusy hops. Anybody else use this yeast a lot for american styles?

If you haven't, give it a try!

Is is stone's house yeast? Do you know if they filter most of their beers?

makes sense though. I love their pale ale!

Hi,
I just used it for an Arrogant Bastard Clone and it tastes delicious. Absolutely wonderful. I am about to use it in an Oatmeal Stout. I really hope it does not overattenuate the beer. [WLP007 that is]

Is Stone's IPA fermented with this strain???? :mug:

I've got a pouch of this wyeast in my fridge as I type and i've been trying to clone Stone's IPA forever w/ a different yeast. I've brewed some really good IPA's but not Stone-esque.

I think their IPA is bottle conditioned. There is a lways some yeast in the bottle but not too much. less than a typical home brew.

regards,
Alan

It is an excellent strain with american hops and my preferred Oatmeal Stout yeast. It ferments evenly, flocculates well and tolerates crazy temperature variations. I also like the way it brings out the maltiness of my low gravity beers.

I made an american wheat with it (Safale 04)a couple of weeks ago. The beer is still aging but the little sample I had was really good. I was going for hints of fruit without adding fruit so I fermented it at 66-68*F.

I use Wyeast Whitbread in 85% of my recipes. I absolutely love it, especially in my porter and stout. I stick to WY1056 for my paler American beers, but I now might have to give the Whitbread a try

I have used Safale s-04 and WLP 007 extensively, and can conclude that they are the same strain, or very close to it. Never used Wyeast whitbread, but am guessing its probably the same.

Latest posts

Back