Who broke Chain and opened your mind????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the early 90's when I was in high school I worked at a winery in California as a waiter doing weddings. After the events we would take all the half empty bottles of wine and drink them behind the movie theater in Temecula. After one wedding there were a few beers called Blind Pig left over so our boss said we could take them. Not knowing what it was at the time we each opened one. Two of my friends (still bud light drinkers) spit it out and said it tasted like $hit. I drank all three and never looked back.

My grandfather was a brewer and vintner, my father was a vintner and I helped as a kid. I've been surrounded by good beer and wine since I can remember.

I guess I'm the one trying to open up my friend's pallets to other experiences than BMC.

When my brother got married he gave all his groomsmen a 6-month beer of the month club subscription.

Best gift ever, as it really exposed me to all the different styles out there.

Up until my 21st, I had never drank any beer beyond the BMC crap, with an occasional Yuengling. Then someone bought me a Bass Pale Ale. It was yummy, so that really made me say "Wow, I wonder what other tasty beers I can find" and just started buying beer at the local six-pack store that I'd never had before. Easy as that.

I've been drinking beer for 35 years now. Back then there were no microbreweries, no Samuel Adams. To get something more interesting than BMC you had to drink Imports. Dos Equis amber and Lowenbrau dark were the gourmet choices back then. There were some very good German an Czech lagers too if you looked hard for them, but ales? I didn't drink my first ale till many many years later. Now ales are mostly what I drink and all that I brew.

I think Jim Koch said,"When 80% of the beer consumed in this country is a light lager from one of three breweries, something is wrong." Made sense to me.

A fantastic Irish Pub in West Palm that I would eat lunch in every Thursday with some friends. We would have a pint and then head back for class. It was Guinness, then Bass, Harp and then Newcastle that opened my eyes. There was also this bar that did $1 draft night and anything on draft was included. I drank so many craft brews that way. I figured, if it's the same price as BMC, might as well jump in feet first.

I was living in Athens Ga dating this Smoken HOT collage chick she turned me on to Celis White. It was all over from then on. I had always loved beers from around the world but never quite like my love affair w/ this brew. I went from that to Fisher then on to everything else. Good GOD I havent thought about that chick in a long time!!
Cheers
JJ

I have always loved beer, any kind.
been through every phase imaginable: Bud, Coors Light, Sierra Nevada, Killians, Guiness, Any IPA i could find, Anchir Steam, at this point any lable that wasnt main stream just to be different, Sammy Smith's, Stella, Amstel, and know back to Coor's Light. and that cycles every couple of years but brewing beers the last 6 months has made my tastes grow and shrink. I have a constant brew of one batch a week being bottled, and i love my home brews but, (big sin) i still keep coors light in my keg o rator because it is in fact a tastey refreshing beer to me in the summer.

Insert anti American lager jokes now.

I went through a progression like this:

Budweiser> Yuengling> Killians> Negra Modelo > Sierra Nevada > Red Hook, Sweet Water

I'll still go back and drink a Yuengling, especially on draft at my local pub but I don't touch american macrobrews (with the exception of Killians and Blue Moon actually being produced by Coors)

A friend of mine got me hooked on microbrews while I was in college. I'd try all different stuff. One day my girlfriend said, "what do you think about brewing our own?" Life has never been the same. I pour over books as well as this website looking for my next brew. What will go with the season, something new etc...

Im from MA. Have beeing skiing my whole life in NH. A place I grew up around was Woodstock Inn Brewpub. Place is great, use to see my Dad and his friends drink all this great beer and I always said the day I turn 21 I will drink great beer. Well I am now 27 and over a year ago a few of my friends made a decision that we all drink great beer an know alot about it that we should start brewing it and we went from there...

I'm Irish; grew up in England.

When I first moved to America, I went in a bar and asked for a beer, and got a Bud.

I almost cried.

Back