Who’s A Skinhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampamark

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve cut my own hair for about 25 years. I’m not fussy about my hair; it’s just one more little detail to deal with. I’ve used a clipper with interchangeable combs which determine how much gets trimmed with each pass. I use one that leaves 3/4” and just sort of drive that all over my head until the hair is all the same length. Then, I use some of the other combs to taper the edges above my ears and on the back of my neck. It’s never been a big deal, the clipper I use cost about as much as one haircut, nobody ever commented on how bad my hair looked, it’s just been one small way of making my life simpler. Until a couple of days ago.

Long story short, the 3/4” comb didn’t lock on to the trimmer head properly and fell off when I made the first pass from behind my right ear to the top (bald spot) of my head. Left a 2” wide racing stripe all the way up. No fixing it, I just had to bite the bullet and buzz it all off.

After living with it for a few days I think I just might keep shaving it. I don’t have hair that gets sweaty when working outside in hot weather, the little bit of stubble acts like Velcro and my cap doesn’t blow off in the wind, and my wife (a cancer survivor who knows all about being bald) thinks I look just fine.

So, who else is a chrome dome?

1A0CC212-570E-4EA9-A6AE-587E8C3AE509.jpeg

I fought a premptive strike against baldness some time ago..I shaved my head. Safety razor with merkur blades. Takes it right off

I’ve cut my own hair for about 25 years. I’m not fussy about my hair; it’s just one more little detail to deal with. I’ve used a clipper with interchangeable combs which determine how much gets trimmed with each pass. I use one that leaves 3/4” and just sort of drive that all over my head until the hair is all the same length. Then, I use some of the other combs to taper the edges above my ears and on the back of my neck. It’s never been a big deal, the clipper I use cost about as much as one haircut, nobody ever commented on how bad my hair looked, it’s just been one small way of making my life simpler. Until a couple of days ago.

Long story short, the 3/4” comb didn’t lock on to the trimmer head properly and fell off when I made the first pass from behind my right ear to the top (bald spot) of my head. Left a 2” wide racing stripe all the way up. No fixing it, I just had to bite the bullet and buzz it all off.

After living with it for a few days I think I just might keep shaving it. I don’t have hair that gets sweaty when working outside in hot weather, the little bit of stubble acts like Velcro and my cap doesn’t blow off in the wind, and my wife (a cancer survivor who knows all about being bald) thinks I look just fine.

So, who else is a chrome dome?

View attachment 694650

I like it! My brother had a similar incident many years ago with clippers. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't a good look for him. No one knew he had a bumpy knobby head until that day.

To this day, people who remember the incident still call him "Turtle".

You, on the other hand, look really good!

same thing happened to me....instead of my usual #5, i wanted it a BIT shorter and tried a number 2.....couldn't stop after the first pass.....

half tempted to post a pic of my now recovering 2 month growth, but i look like a mutilated thug.......lol

Whoa...I've always known 'Skinheads' by an entirely different context! Fortunately, I believe all lives matter and I have a gorgeous flowing head of hockey hair (AKA a mullet). My wife hates it but my hairs thinning out quite a bit so I'm enjoying it while I still have it!

My wife hates it but my hairs thinning out quite a bit so I'm enjoying it while I still have it!
Rock it while you still have it. I also thought from the title this thread was going to be a VERY different topic.

That's why I clicked. There's a few of us non-racist original folk on here I've encountered over the years. Somehow haven't seen any of the stereotypical Nazi variety who stole it all. (Do yourselves a solid and watch "This Is England" when you have a moment. Fantastic flick and a very fair showing of how skinhead went wrong).

I cut my own hair too. I normally go 1/2" - 3/4" in the winter and 1/8" in the summer. One day it was time for my summer cut after a long winter of being 3/4" shaggy. I started as I normally do - front to back, right along the part line to start. Not an inch in does my spacer fall off. My eyes haven't yet told my brain to tell my hand to stop. I now have a good 8" swath from my forehead to the peak of my skull drowning in fluorescent light. So I did what any person in their right mind would do...the same to the other side...a little further back....manicure the sides a bit more...a perfect Mr. T cut. Out of the shower I go proudly proclaiming to my wife that I am all dressed and ready to go. Did I mention we were getting ready to head out with her friends for dinner and drinks? She was "hesitant" at first, but after consuming about half of the bar's offerings, she cracked her first smile.

Although the new do did not stick around for long, I did do it again (this time on purpose) a few years later, just in case she forgot how amazing I look when I'm trying to be funny.

The second she threatened to get the same haircut is when I stopped Mr. T'ing around.

To the point (there is one) - after each Mr. T came a clean shaven dome. It's very light and liberating until it starts growing back and everything sticks to your head.

wow, like a couple others, when I saw the title, I thought you were talking about punk rock fans / possibly neo-nazis. Thank goodness I was mistaken in that.
Personally, my forehead is expanding all the time, and the hair is getting gray... but I don't know that I could go for the full cue-ball. I know I have a few scars up there from various close encounters of the painful, stitches required variety. Eventually I may end up with the halo, but I'll deal with it then.
I do have a couple friends that started losing hair very early, and have gone straight bald for a long time -don't know that I can pull it off.

Ill admit I clicked in with a WTF mentality.

Much to my wife’s irritation, I started taking a razor to my head about 15 years ago when I did motorcycle track days just about every weekend. I wanted as tight and consistent a fit I could get with my helmet after a couple crashes and resulting concussions.

Those days are gone and I’ve tried growing my hair back a couple times and been really frustrated at how much it has thinned so I just keep it shaved. And encourage my kids to keep their manes long and full. 2/3 are heeding my advice.

In college, I dyed my hair for a Halloween party. Afterwards, it was easier to shave it bald and let it grow back in.
I got a little bit of flack for looking like a racist skinhead...but then again I went to Berkeley where most of the time if you looked weird you likely were weird.

I did it shaved a couple times in college and liked it. Friends in the dorm having a hair cutting party don't think they were wannabe Nazi's, most were black. Didnt keep it bald just clipped to a 1 or 2 and then let it grow out. Then about 40-45 the thinning was getting pretty bad and I refused to comb over. Got the clippers out again and went with that. My favorite clippers these days are the corded Whal balding clippers with the small grey gard (I think it is a zero). My wife got me one of those Pitbull electric shavers a couple years ago and it's nice too for a really clean and shiny chrome dome but can't handle more than about two day's growth so need to use it every day. With the balding clippers I can go a week or two between trims.

Long hair all through my teens and it started thinning out really badly around 21. Been shaving my head once or twice a week since about 23 (13 years ago!) but I get a little lax here and there and let it grow for 10 days before shaving it down again. I switch the facial hair up a bit every couple years though. Now a lot of my friends are starting to experience hair loss and completely in denial and growing it out and tossing a ball cap on instead. Glad I just gave into it one day.

I have skin showing on my head, but the last thing I want to be associated with is the term "Skinhead."

A couple years ago I was having pics taken showing how I fill bottles from my keezer, and one was taken from above--showing the most horrible weedy garden patch of hair on top of my dome.

Well. Can't have that. So I went to the barber and told her "Take it all off!" My wife wasn't--and still isn't--happy with the result, but I like it.

No hat hair. No bed head. No hair dryer. No shampoo.

I've got my morning "shave" down to 7 minutes, face and top. Typically I shave every other day, depending on who I'm trying to impress. :)

The only downside to this I've discovered is I'd better wear a hat outside, preferably one with a brim all the way around, as there are NO follicles protecting me from the sun's rays.

There is something freeing about not having a bunch of hair. Started shaving my head about 15 years ago, but now just use the clippers with no guards. Much easier than shaving. But I would never refer to myself as a skinhead. Bald, chrome dome, etc. yep.

That's why I clicked. There's a few of us non-racist original folk on here I've encountered over the years. Somehow haven't seen any of the stereotypical Nazi variety who stole it all. (Do yourselves a solid and watch "This Is England" when you have a moment. Fantastic flick and a very fair showing of how skinhead went wrong).

Yes.

And what a fantastic film. The kid's story is wrenching. Don't know his name, but his "mentor" skinhead is an awesome actor (small role in Band of Brothers....pick him out).

#1 clippers for me.

Great title, by the way. I tell my students that a title should hint at the content / theme of the piece as well as entice the reader to read it. You accomplished both goals. I'm a #1 man myself as you can see in my avatar.

@Sammy86 Damn Sam, I cant get under 17 minutes. Granted I use a safety razor unless I’m traveling. The penalty for speed is harsh.

Yes.

And what a fantastic film. The kid's story is wrenching. Don't know his name, but his "mentor" skinhead is an awesome actor (small role in Band of Brothers....pick him out).

#1 clippers for me.

Stephen Graham? Yeah he's a very good actor. Been amazing in everything I've seen him in.

I use this with Merkur blades. I have very thick whiskers and have to use really hot water to soften them up. If you get in a hurry with this your wearing a bandaid. Shaves closer and anything else I’ve tried though

Not quite but over the last few years have been slowing getting it shorter and shorter due to thinning on top and hair that has never wanted to stay looking combed. Then quarantine hit and I did it myself once with the #3 setting on some not-great adjustable clippers I have. I thought about going shorter but didn't work up the guts until they slipped to #1 mid cut a couple months ago. I was happy with the result as was my wife so that's my new look.

Related, where does everyone do this at home? The first time in the bathroom was kind of messy. I realized I could just step out the back door of my garage every 2-3 weeks and let it blow away right now but its starting to get cold again so I guess I'll end up back in the bathroom.

Back