Whiteys Pale Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaTarTar

Reaction score
Hello. I am pretty new to homebrewing and I am going to try to brew Whiteys Gone Fishing Pale Ale from Papazians book. I want to add some steeping grains to the recipe to make it a little more interesting. I was thinking of steeping 1lb Crystal Malt and One pound Simpsons Caramalt for thirty minutes before the boils. So I have two questions. Does anyone think the flavors of these grains will go well with this recipe? And will steeping these grains extra to the recipe add more sugars thus creating a longer fermentation time that is posted in the recipe or does it just add flavor? I only have done one batch that came from a kit so far that came out well but I want try something new. The recipe is below. Thanks in advance.

6.6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
1 oz. Amarillo Hops
3/4 oz. French Strisselspalt Hops
1/2 oz Sterling Hops
English style ale yeast

That should work nicely, though I think you may be overdoing it a little even on an ESB. A full pound of crystal in a pale ale of that strength is probably a bit much, especially if it is any darker than 40 deg. L malt; I would recommend half that much. Similarly with the caramalt, though that won't affect the color so much as the flavor and body. Either go with half a pound each, or choose one or the other rather than both.

OTOH, you might consider a quarter pound of an aroma malt like Victory or Biscuit. While they don't take very well to steeping (as opposed to mashing), they should give some extra maltiness to the beer.

Thanks for the quick response. I am heading to my local brew supply today so I can pick up thhe ingrediants. One more question. Do you reccomend adding the quarter pound of the aroma malts you suggested along with the half pound of pound of crystal and half pound of caramalt or in place of one of the 1/2 pound of grains. Thanks again.

Can I ask how it turned out? (If you've had a chance to try it yet, that is)

Back