White Trash Caserole Night at My Place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajaedition

Reaction score
Tonight was one of those nights
nothing planned for dinner but some stuff in the fridge I need to use up
SO
Casserole night

at first I named it "it might be a mistake casserole" but after getting the rave reviews from the family I changed the name to "white trash casserole"

and here it is

2 packages of Kraft shells and cheese
1 can of Hormel chile no beans
1 medium onion diced
1 large bell pepper diced
1 pound of hamburger meat
1/3 box of Velveeta cheese
1/2 a bag of shredded cheese
Some Lowery's season all
2 boxes of corn muffin mix, you know that bluish box

ok, start with the shells and cheese, but add the Velveeta to it and melt that all the way down

make the corn muffin mix and make a dozen corn muffins

in a pan start to fry the onions and bell peppers till they start to caramelize and add the hamburger meat. keep working it till the meat is brown and sprinkle on the Lowery's, fry a bit more and mix the Hormel's in.

put muffins in the oven for 20 minutes at 400

grab casserole dish and put the meat mixture on the bottom and the shells and cheese on top, slide under the corn muffins in the oven, when the corn muffins are finished pull them to set and let the casserole go till it has cooked 30 minutes and pull it.

let it set for about 7 to 10 minutes and then put in the middle of the table with a serving spoon in it and the muffins on the side.

I had to almost force my kids to taste it but once they did it all disappeared and I have no pictures

but it was good

I've even used left over chili to make taco pie with. fill a couple corn bread pans about half way with chili,Then top with corn bread batter & bake till golden. cheese on top of the chili is good too,before adding batter.
**Corn Bread**
1C corn meal
1.5C flour (Or 3/4C flour & 3/4C spent grain flour)
1tsp salt
1tsp red pepper
2-3 tsp baking powder
1C milk
1TBSP oil
1 egg
Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk. add egg & liquids,whisking till smooth. Let it sit for a few minutes to thicken a bit. Then divide between both pans of chili/cheese layers. Bake at 425F till golden brown on top.

I ended up making a sloppy joe shepards pie. That turned out real good. Another one we do is "locco mocco" style. We make a rice bowl with a type of meat, some sauce (usually asian inspired) and runny egg. Real good. Heck i even went as far as to use pizza sauce i found with tomoatoes and chilis on speghetti. That was pretty good. Sometimes you do what you gotta do, and hope its better then ok. So far so good. :)

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Back