White spores in head space of fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB504

Reaction score
I have been fermenting a wheat beer for about a week and a half and see white spores in head space of fermenter noticed a couple days in of fermentation. Is it mild is the beer still good? I will be racking it into a secondary when fermentation is complete. Which I I beileve to be a few more days

Attachments

• 2A35B935-9A9A-40D5-A9F4-F390DC02D781.jpeg
    2A35B935-9A9A-40D5-A9F4-F390DC02D781.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 0A6DF319-952C-4636-BA6D-1A7A7F69E038.jpeg
    0A6DF319-952C-4636-BA6D-1A7A7F69E038.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
It's hard to see detail in that pic, but it looks like yeast to me. Or rather, lacking detail to the contrary, yeast is the most likely thing.

Did you use dry yeast that you just sprinkled into the wort by any chance?
Yes it was dry yeast, I am new to brewing only my third batch. Here are different pics if it helps any

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Also, racking to secondary is generally no longer advised - more potential problems than potential benefit. Let it ride in primary until you're ready to package.

I don't see anything that would worry me.

Many times when you sprinkle dry yeast into your fermenter, some of the small granules stick to the fermenter walls and you will see those little specks you are experiencing. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you clean your fermenter well before the next batch.

I just looked at your 3rd photo and noticed the spots above your trub/ yeast cake.
8694A4BA-7694-429F-B4BA-61BA266FE3DF.jpeg
If those are on the inside, I’m not sure what you’ve got going on there. Possibly residue left from previous fermentation that wasn’t cleaned well? Somebody else might have a better idea.

Last edited:
I just looked at your 3rd photo and noticed the spots above your trub/ yeast cake.
View attachment 682531
If those are on the inside, I’m not sure what you’ve got going on there. Possibly residue left from previous fermentation that wasn’t cleaned well? Somebody else might have a better idea.
that pic was of the cake. Those that you pointed out, is the flash from my phone

Thanks brewers. I’m very new to brewing and loving it and even newer to being a member of this forum. Which I stay up at night reading about interest in the past. Very helpful

Back