White specs on vessel walls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

111JOX

Reaction score
Hi guys,
First batch of kombucha brewing. The walls of my vessel have developed a mass of white specs. They don’t look like mold but I’ve never seen anything like them. Anyone encountered this or know what it is?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 4BF05A9C-47BB-4E7A-BEE2-D70E45E36BF3.jpeg
    4BF05A9C-47BB-4E7A-BEE2-D70E45E36BF3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I think it's some "trub" that just stuck to the walls during fermentation, There seems to be some sort of deposit on the bottom too from what I can see.
Did you add anything else to the buch, aside from tea?

Hi there,

Okay so the trub isn’t concerning? And the deposit on the bottom is the scoby which hasn’t floated to the surface. I read that was okay. Is that incorrect?

Hi there,

Okay so the trub isn’t concerning? And the deposit on the bottom is the scoby which hasn’t floated to the surface. I read that was okay. Is that incorrect?
Oh, that's the scoby! It's hard to tell from the picture, but can it be the scoby is shedding the white dots? She looks a little rough, fibery, on the top.

I'd let it be. She's a complex organism, and finds her way, doing what she does, given her environment.
You have the top of the jar covered with a thin cloth, held with a rubber band or some other tie, correct?

BTW, mold doesn't form inside liquids, they form on or near the surface where it's damp and have air/oxygen.

Hi really appreciate all this information! The scoby’s very fibrous on the top so very possible the wall residue is a result of her shedding. Yes muslin cloth on top, fastened with rubber bands. And I had no idea about mold only forming on the surface. That really puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the help!

Back