white sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudweiser1

Reaction score
I am brewing an American cream ale, I have transfered it to the secondary fermenter(which is glass) and when i looked inside i saw white flakes suspended at the top. At first i thought it was yeast but it is still floating on the top. Is this bad and should i try and strain it out of my brew? Thanks

hudweiser1 said:
I am brewing an American cream ale, I have transfered it to the secondary fermenter(which is glass) and when i looked inside i saw white flakes suspended at the top. At first i thought it was yeast but it is still floating on the top. Is this bad and should i try and strain it out of my brew? Thanks
Don't mess with your beer while fermenting.

That is most likely just some CO2 forming on the top as the yeast puts off its normal by-products of alcohol and CO2.

Let the beer run its course and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The Co2 kicked up a bunch of gunk from the bottom of the secondary...it happens all the time...calm down AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CARBOY FOR 2 WEEKS...Let the beer do what it needs to do.

It's not a newborn baby that needs constant attention...

:D

uglygoat said:
you can hug the fermenter though. :)

Wasn't there a thread about dry humping your carboy a couple weeks back? I mean, I'm personally obsessed with beer and all.....but that's going a little too far into this hobby....it's almost stalkerish. :D

Dry humping your fermentor could stir up sediment. I recommend hugging and singing softly to ensure full, healthy fermentation.

This is my first batch. I made a honey cream ale. I bottled it a week and half ago. I checked a few days ago on it and there was some white gunk at the bottom of the bottle.
Today, there is enough white stuff the cover the entire bottom of each bottle.

Is there any way to correct that? I can only assume this is not what i want.

5bsbeer said:
This is my first batch. I made a honey cream ale. I bottled it a week and half ago. I checked a few days ago on it and there was some white gunk at the bottom of the bottle.
Today, there is enough white stuff the cover the entire bottom of each bottle.

Is there any way to correct that? I can only assume this is not what i want.
That there is simply the residual yeast in the beer. Necessary to carbonate your beer and a good thing. As the yeast consumes the priming sugar you added at bottling time, it will produce CO2 and carbonate your bottles. Then the yeast (which have multiplied by the millions now) will settle out to the bottom of the beer bottle as the sugar (food supply) is exhausted and the yeast conk out.

Some brewers are careful not to pour to much of that yeast into their beer glass, but its' a personal preference.

5bsbeer said:
also how do I make sure this doesn't happen in the future?
It's fine to drink. It's just yeast. Pour gently into a glass and leave the sediment behind.

As far as getting a bottle of homebrewed ale without yeast...you'll need to go to kegging and force carbing with CO2 instead of priming the bottles with corn sugar.

Back