White sediment at the top of the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyduke

Reaction score
Hi,

I've bottled my very first batch and after a week of carbonation I noticed some kind of sediment at the top of the bottles. It looks white and in some bottles even chunky (sticks to the bottle side if I move it around).
What it could be and should I worry about it?

(I know the picture is not great, sorry for that)

Thanks!

Attachments

• LClLc.jpg
    LClLc.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Can't really see anything in the bottle picture. Maybe you have floating yeast rafts from too short of primary time or picking up a lot of yeast when racking to the bottling bucket. Short primary time can leave a lot of sediment and excess yeast in suspension. A week in the bottle is too short for an infection to begin showing. Let it condition for another week or three to see if anything changes.

Thanks for the reply! Apart from those things at the top, I can see the yeast at the bottom, though I used a paint bag when racking since I dry-hopped without hop bags. BTW I'm carbonating at mid to high 70's, just wondering if temp can somehow affect that...

I took another shot (See those little white bastards?), not so great either but maybe it could help.

Attachments

• 20171212_013157.jpg
    20171212_013157.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 176
Looks like some floating yeast chunks that made it through the siphon. They'll drop out during conditioning. Low 70°F range is enough for bottle conditioning.

I typically get a small ring around the top of every bottle. Just yeast I presume.

Bottle krausen ring. Happens to me when there's a bit more trub in the bottle. When i use gelatin that never happens.

Back