White ring of something around carboy shoulders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
I was wrapping up bottling my IPA yesterday when I realized I had 20 minutes to shower and get to by buddy's house to watch the Charger game. In a hurry, I filled my 5g carboy up with Oxyclean and let it soak. I got back to it today (about 30 hours later) and have a white ring around the shoulders of the carboy that I absolutely cannot get off. I've attached a picture below though it's a crappy cell phone pic and difficult to see. I grabbed some pliers and twisted the end of my carboy brush to hit it better with the bristles but after 15 mins of scrubbing the only dent I can make in it is with the metal at the end of the carboy brush (you can see the lines if you look REALLY closely). Any idea what this could be? I dry hopped the IPA so it could be remnants from the hops? Any tips on getting rid of it?

Thanks!

photo.jpg

I've left oxiclean in carboys a couple of times and I get the same problem. Just leaving them overnight is long enough to develop deposits all over the place. Try cleaning it with vinegar, it should take them off.

Back