White mass in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroesNest

Reaction score
I have a cider that is about three months in. I used fresh pressed juice and did treat with Camden. I racked to secondary and did use campden again. A white film mass developed in the bottom of the carboy and today it did break loose and float to the top. I did sample the cider and it did taste fine. Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_20201128_204130529.jpg
IMG_20201126_105836402.jpg

Last edited:
That’s wild looking. I’ve only ever done a few batches of cider with store bought juice so that’s new to me. I’m definitely following this thread

Looks similar to a scoby for kombucha. Definitely a raft colony of some micro organisms

Looks similar to a scoby for kombucha. Definitely a raft colony of some micro organisms

Yes, similar. The consistency is more curd-like. It does not have any bad odor and the cider tastes fine. I'm beginning to not think infection and lean more towards a condensed trub. I did suck up some during my racking.

Yes, similar. The consistency is more curd-like. It does not have any bad odor and the cider tastes fine. I'm beginning to not think infection and lean more towards a condensed trub. I did suck up some during my racking.
I cant imagine trub starting to float after 3 months. I’m sure somebody will chime in with the correct answer soon enough.

if you’re on Facebook, you should join the Milk the Funk group. You can post your picture and all the information on the brew and I promise someone there will def no the answer for you

Last edited:
I allow all of my apple cider to ferment wild. They all get a pellicle of some sort, and so as long as your cider tastes fine, you can let it go. I normally bulk age mine for about 3 months minimum before bottling, and drinking at about 5 months. We like our cider dry and tart, so I don't back sweeten and I don't worry about adding K-Meta and Sorbate to halt the yeast. YMMV.

I allow all of my apple cider to ferment wild. They all get a pellicle of some sort, and so as long as your cider tastes fine, you can let it go. I normally bulk age mine for about 3 months minimum before bottling, and drinking at about 5 months. We like our cider dry and tart, so I don't back sweeten and I don't worry about adding K-Meta and Sorbate to halt the yeast. YMMV.

I appreciate the feedback. I did dose it with K-meta just in case and I now have it in the garage cold crashing. I plan to bottle and condition next week. I like dry as well.

Back