white layer on the bottom of primary after 24 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btoobrew

Reaction score
I starterd my coopers lager yesterday and i pitched my yest a 30c a little high but i heard it better to doit a lil high then wait to long for it to cool. Tonight its at 24c there is a bout a 1/4inch ring of foam <(krausen) the kit i got uses a krausen ring not an air lock . i dont see much happening .there is a decent amout of a white sediment on the bottom of my fermentor already is that dead yeast did i kill it pitching at that temp? Im sure i allowed plenty of oxygen in my wort before pitching the muntons gold yeat not the yeast that came with the kit

What you're seeing is most likely trub - hot break, cold break, hop particles, other assorted particles that settle out.

If you are actually doing a lager that seems a little high. I think I have heard some people letting it sit out for 24-48 hours at higher temperatures, but pretty sure you'll need to get that down to around 15C. Granted, not sure that the Munton's yeast is really a lager yeast, so that may not be necessary.

And if everything goes right, that layer on the bottom will keeping on growing to make your yeast cake.

Went to my lhbs told them i was told not use the kit yeast and told him what i was brewing thats what he gave me and said it was a room temp yeast

Cool, should be good to go then. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out! :mug:

Just wondering my o.g was like some where 1.044 yester day it was 1.050 to 55 lot of bubbleing could realy see an exact is that a good reading for 24hrs

It went up 10 points? I have never checked mine after 24 hours, but I would think it should only drop, not spike up and then go down.

Maybe reading it worng it a plastic hydometer prob replace it tonight it did smell like beer and not like the wort

If you can, just let it be for a good two weeks, then see where you are. Worst case, it's not fermenting and you may have to repitch. Best case, it's ready to move to a secondary or bottle. Patience is without a doubt the hardest part of homebrewing, but it will make your brew that much better. Resist the urge to constantly check on it, it'll do its thing.

Just wondering my o.g was like some where 1.044 yester day it was 1.050 to 55 lot of bubbleing could realy see an exact is that a good reading for 24hrs

Did you add top-off water to the fermentor? If so, the wort probably wasn't mixed all the way and the 1.044 was incorrect. Now the start of fermentation has thoroughly mixed the wort and the 1.050 is probably closer to correct OG. Also, if it was an extract kit, and you filled to the correct volume, it's almost impossible to be off what the instructions say your OG should be.

1.050 i checked today just to see if i was reading it right it droped to 1.045now im going to leave it took a lil sip it taste like a weak flat beer i think its on the right track will prob wait 2 or 3 days before i test next

So you are doing an open fermentation? If you are then I have heard that people move it into a carboy after 24 to 48 hours because the yeast eats most of the sugar in this time. If you don't move it over it can get infected because there is not as much co2 on top. Also the trub is fine. I usually pitch around 65 to 68 degrees F. And at 30 C you should be fine.

One last note just because you don't see any activity in the airlock or on top doesn't mean it is not fermenting.

the lower OG than a day later was probably an uneven mix and you got a low gravity sample.

Whoever said that it is better to pitch warm that wait for the temperature to drop is giving old ideology. (if that is the right term) Unless it is going to take days it is better to get near your ideal pitching temperature first.

You can do no chill, which is letting the wort cool on it's own, usually overnight.

Read it on the cooper lager kit instructions one thing im not found of with my kit is the it doesnt use an airlock cant see much happenin in there

And think i will get a carboy . Would it be ok to use my now primary a translucent ferment bucket as a secondary my kit now conditions in the bottle

I went to my lhbs today to get a glass hydrometer to replace the one that came with my kit was talk to the guy there about my brew he told me i should re pitch so i did see if things start movein

How long after did you re-pitch? He may have been trying to move some product...:)

I asked jim about addin a yeast nutrient he said he thought i should just add one pack of the same yeast i pitched

Told him i was goin to do some upgrades before my next batch didnt try to sell anything to me

I gotcha. I'm sure it didn't hurt to go ahead and buy an extra pack just in case anyways. Let us know if it gets going. :mug:

I still only see a steady but small amout of bubbleing in brew no air lock beacuse my kit didnt need one is it like j just started after my repitch i see pics on the web of thick layer of krausen still nothing like that from my brew sorry for so many ?s im more or less doing this blind the guy whp sparked my intrest in this pretty much just said he homebrewed beeb doin it on mu own senice never even tasted a homebrewed beer

Did you take an original gravity reading? There can be fermentation without a large krausen. You can judge how your fermentation is going by taking either a hydrometer or refractometer reading in the middle, or whenever to see when you are done fermenting.

Keep after it man... Look at it as an adventure... Some will be good, others... I got brew stuff for christmas this past year and convinced my buddy we needed to do it together... Its been a blast! Just moved my third brew to the fridge/freezer...

I have been bummed that i havnt seen these monster rolling ferme.tations either, but reading, my time will come...

Yeah, some yeasts are more active than others. Even if you see a lot of airlock activity, doesn't mean you'll get a thick krausen layer. My first krausen layer was only about 1/2" thick, nothing like you see in a lot of the pictures. I really didn't mind it at all, less to have to clean once I emptied the bucket and I was in no danger of a blow out and the beer still turned out great!

Think the fact that my fermentation bucket doesnt use an air lock is prob the source of alot of my worries one reason i m going to get the carboy then i will have an actual secondary as well not just bottle conditon

Every time i have used the hydrometer when reading it correctly it droped a few points

Back