White Labs yeast storing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber8302

Reaction score
I just received a few extract kits today and I chose White Labs yeast this time. My question is storage. Can I just store them in fridge horizontally or do they need to stand upright? The reason I'm asking is there layer of thicker yeast laying on the bottom and other liquid around it. Will it loosen up once its in room temperature?

makes no difference...just like your yellow mustard bottle. take it out of the fridge about half hour before you are ready to pitch the yeast,shake it up so it mixes well,,,,,,,,

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply. Also, is it completely necessary to make a starter? I know the consensus is it will make it better, but I don't have the equipment yet to make one. Will or could it ruin the beer?

Depends,on the yeast age viability.Generally yes its a good idea. It also depends on your batch size and OG. All you need for a yeast starter is some dme and something clean an sanitized to put it in- you dont need extra equipement it just helps,I dont yet and not shure if I really need it yet either. That and you should read about how to go about it in one of the stickies in the yeast forum.

If your gravity is above 1.070 or your vial is past its best before date, then a starter should be made, otherwise you should be fine. If you pitch at 70-75F with good aeration lag shouldn't be longer that 24 hours. Just make sure to drop down in temperature for that particular strain once fermentation starts.

After taking it out of the refrigerator to warm up, make sure you break the seal on the cap and put the vial in a measuring cup or some other container so that the vial stands upright.

Failure to break the seal may result in a gusher of yeast when you open the vial.

Openning those vials is the same as trying to open a 2L soda bottle as soon as you get it home. Being all shaken & full of co2 pressure. You have to crack the lid slightly to let some gas out. Tehn close it real quick again before it leaks. Repeat till all excess gas is burped out.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for info! My first bath has been fermenting for 2 weeks and I am going to brew my 2nd batch tomorrow. This hobby is so addicting! I have 4 more batches planned for the next few months. Thanks for everyone's help!

Back