White Labs Yeast Packaging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brief: Shows how long I've been away, I'd guess - but I'm working up a WLP40 for an RIS. When I got the package (my wife picked stuff up from our LHBS), I thought perhaps this was a special line and the tubes are still their main thing. It looks like that's not the case?

I very much like WL, but I have to say, not a fan of this packaging. I found it very difficult to work with and much preferred the old tubes, if so (that they've moved on to this new packaging). And working up from slants, of course.

They say its more viable in the new packaging due to the way they package it. Its not bad. Snip off the top with scissors and squish it out like toothpaste.

I always carefully remove the thin outer wrapper and shake the heavier plastic tube and sanitize it. Sanitize a sturdy pair of scissors, snip a corner and cleanly empty it in to your starter. It does take some getting used to but once you get the outer wrapper off it is fairly simple.

A plus to this is if you send the outer wrappers for the white labs customer club. It is a whole easier than getting the labels off the vials.

I contacted them some time back and asked about the brown specks in some of the packages. They said it's normal.

Sadly, I've also had 5-6 of their new packing yeasts not activate at all or turned peanut butter brown before their expiration dates. At $8 per package this hobby has gotten more expensive.

I contacted them some time back and asked about the brown specks in some of the packages. They said it's normal.

Sadly, I've also had 5-6 of their new packing yeasts not activate at all or turned peanut butter brown before their expiration dates. At $8 per package this hobby has gotten more expensive.

Wasn't 002 was it? All of the new 002 that I've purchased has been almost like peanut butter. But it's all worked just fine.

People are making this way harder than it has to be. Just cut the top and squeeze like toothpaste. I sanitize the package and scissors before cutting.

The reason for the new packaging is, WL builds up the yeasts in the plastic packages and then just cuts them to size for individual use. It never comes out of that package from birth, Pretty innovative!

People are making this way harder than it has to be. Just cut the top and squeeze like toothpaste. I sanitize the package and scissors before cutting.

The reason for the new packaging is, WL builds up the yeasts in the plastic packages and then just cuts them to size for individual use. It never comes out of that package from birth, Pretty innovative!

Or, some may just not like it. One of the reasons I preferred WL over Wyeast, as it's just one more point of possible contamination, imo, to cut across a bag. That, and the fact this packet gushed as I cut it....open...with some scissors. And it was quite firm, so that the "paste" didn't quite squeeze out all that great, licked the lip of the erlenmeyer.

At any rate, I prefer a slurry. Just a preference, loved the old style, now, not so much.

Thanks guys. Mine was fairly old and I think that may be at play, to some extent. It burst open and squirt liquid on me, the flask, everything. And given that we're coming on 24 hours post brew and I've yet to see any action, I'm a bit concerned. Weird, since I did step up on a stirplate, but first brew in a long time and a lot went wrong (nothing like dress rehearsal, lol), it wouldn't surprise me this, too, I spaced. But I thought we'd gotten a viable, strong culture, after the prop. Beer from it tasted fine.

Back