White Labs WLP 300 vs Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Any thoughts on which would lend more of a banana flavor for a hefeweizen? How about the clove/banana ratio for each? I'm looking to produce something like East End Brewing's Monkey Boy hefeweizen if you have ever had it. I've asked the brewer before and he did tell me a German hefe yeast is used which is what the site confirms but I would think that could be either WLP 300 or Wyeast 3068.

http://www.eastendbrewing.com/
http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/694

Never used 3068, but I can tell you that I LOVE banana and I ONLY use WLP300 in my Hefes

That would make for an interesting experiment. I am brewing a Weihenstephaner Hefe soon and I got the 3068 (solely because it had Weihenstephan in the name). Maybe I'll pick up the WLP300 and split the batch.

I prefer the WLP300. It gives great, bold banana, pleasant clove and an all-around great hefeweizen or roggenbier. I've used it in a weizenbock, as well, which was one of the best beers EVER.

I ferment with WLP300 in the low 60s.

That would make for an interesting experiment. I am brewing a Weihenstephaner Hefe soon and I got the 3068 (solely because it had Weihenstephan in the name). Maybe I'll pick up the WLP300 and split the batch.

Would be a nice experiment to compare apples to apples or bananas to bananas. ;) I would be interested in the turn out if you did do it.

I prefer the WLP300. It gives great, bold banana, pleasant clove and an all-around great hefeweizen or roggenbier. I've used it in a weizenbock, as well, which was one of the best beers EVER.

I ferment with WLP300 in the low 60s.

Do you find that the low 60s gives you enough banana flavor. I was originally shooting for 62F ambient therefore ~67 fermentation but now I think I'm shooting for closer to 63F in the fermentor.

Yes, plenty of banana in the low 60s. It's not INCREDIBLE banana, but I find that trying to get banana flavor by fermenting in the 70s gives you other unpleasant esters, such as bubblegum.

I find my hefe and weizenbock, both fermented with 3068 and fermented in the low 60's, have huge banana flavors. The flavors really took off about a month kegging. So much so, people thought I was using bananas to brew with.

Stop in to the brewery with a quart-sized ziploc bag, and I'll be glad to give you a pitch of our hefe yeast - straight from the Monkey's Mouth - er, um whatever. Then, I'd suggest running fermentation at around 72-75 for maximum banana flavor... your mileage may vary.

Also, I saw the HomeDepot bucket in your photos. Might want to replace that with something FOOD GRADE. We have extras in 5 gal size that I'm happy to give you.

Just drop me an email (hit the contact page on www.EastEndBrewing.com) to coordinate the yeast pickup. I'd prefer to pull a slug of it straight from the tank, but if that's not possible, we can figure something out.

Cheers,
Scott
East End Brewing

Stop in to the brewery with a quart-sized ziploc bag, and I'll be glad to give you a pitch of our hefe yeast - straight from the Monkey's Mouth - er, um whatever. Then, I'd suggest running fermentation at around 72-75 for maximum banana flavor... your mileage may vary.

Also, I saw the HomeDepot bucket in your photos. Might want to replace that with something FOOD GRADE. We have extras in 5 gal size that I'm happy to give you.

Just drop me an email (hit the contact page on www.EastEndBrewing.com) to coordinate the yeast pickup. I'd prefer to pull a slug of it straight from the tank, but if that's not possible, we can figure something out.

Cheers,
Scott
East End Brewing

This thread is almost a year old and I never even saw this post by Scott. I can't believe I missed this. I'm looking to brew another hefe this weekend so I'll have to get in contact with him.

The Home depot buckets are simply for working with sanitizers during brewdays and cleaning parts with oxiclean.

I still can't believe I missed this offer. I emailed Scott so I'll see what happens. Sorry to dig up a year old thread.

out of left field here but did scott ever get back to you ??? the original hefe did you use white labs or wyeast ? that was awesome though that the beer you were trying to model yours after actually made an offer like that. Pretty cool.

Back