White Labs Trappist & Brett Lambicus in a "belgo" Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
So a professional brewer is letting me use some of their wort to make a different interpretation of their oatmeal stout. I decided it would be interesting to try a Trappist yeast in combination with brett lambicus to get a bit of a funky, belgian styling to an otherwise very traditional British oatmeal stout (which would normally undergo a ringwood fermentation).

My major concern is that the banana (and to a lesser extent, clove) thrown off from the WLP500 will not gel with the beer. All the other fruit aspects and high attenuation seem ideal, but the banana worries me.

I'm fermenting at a lowered temperature, which I realize will slow the general process but may curb some of the esters. Sadly it may also do the same to the brett.

Thoughts? For some info, the transfer gravity 1.046 OG, 4.6% alcohol at finish, last measured by a lab at 33 IBUs, and was transferred straight from the wort chiller to the carboy to avoid any ringwood contamination (they use all open fermentation)

EDIT: Also, if it matters, it will age in secondary for 4-6 weeks on fresh medium toast french oak. This is both a clarifying measure (I know it's a stout but still!) and to get some of the soft vanilla and coconut flavors off the wood.

Back