WHite labs liquid yeast question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Did a Copper alr brew from midwest and used my first liquid yeast. Had great fermentation but I racked to secondary yesterday and had whitl floating clumps. Also alot on the bottom. Is this normal for liquid yeasts?

It doesn't sound abnormal. Some yeast strains are very flocculant (like dry Nottingham) and fall into a tight cake at the bottom when finished. Some don't flocculate much at all, and just kind of stay suspended. Some clump together in balls and float around quite a bit. They are all a bit different. Some yeast strains even look a bit like cottage cheese, but it's all ok.

YOOPERBREW, it looks just like a brownish cottage cheese. I used whitelabs german ale 029 and it is a nice steady 65 to 68 degrees. It smells like beer and tasted like beer, It was my first liquid yeast and wanted to make sure it was ok.

Thanks

Stuff on top = krausen, hop gunk, yeast floaties.

Stuff on bottom = trub. Hot/cold break protiens. More hop gunk. Dead and or dormant yeast.

All that stuff = normal.

You = RDWHAHB.

Back