White Labs 833

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspera

Reaction score
So I'm trying this yeast strain as it is recommended by a couple of recipes for malty German style beers. I may be making some expensive brews and was hoping that somebody could fill me in on the quirks of this particular bug if there are any. Specifically, what temps and how much oxygen does it need.

I just used this strain for the first time. I made a double decoction Vienna with it. I made a 1 gallon starter about 4 days before brewday. I left it at 50F/10C. It was going real slow and brewday was approaching. So I moved it to 58F room. It really got going. The next day I brewed and and pitched it all at 55F/13C and put back into the 50F/10C room. It really took off and is very happy at this temp. It has a strong bready smell. I have a good feeling with this beer. From what I have read it leaves a more malty and less sweet beer. That is why I tried it. Taste test will not be for a couple of months though.
If this finishes by the wknd I will transfer to secondary and use the yeast for an Marzen and Boh pils. My room will only stay at 50F until mid March so I gotta take advantage of it now.

I'm a fan of this yeast. I use it for my Oktoberfest and an American Lager (corn). I've gotten some pretty rich beers using it. I haven't noticed anything odd, except one time I ended up with some bubblegum flavors. I'm not sure if this was from this yeast or maybe I didn't clean out my keg well enough and this was from the previous yeast. I've used this yeast for at least 6 brews and only this one had this

Back