White Labs 002 = US-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
Yes...here I am again. Making my first ESB this fine Sunday. Both LBHS shops here were out of the London ESB yeast I needed. I settled for Saf US-04

Dry??? God forbid. Last time I used this yeast I finished 10 points higher than my intended FG. Should I go ahead and brew the ESB?

With this very specific and commonly used yeast, WHAT SHOULD I MASH AT? 152 sound good? 150? I don't want to finish too high.

I most likely will brew since it's been a few weeks since the last time. Perhaps I need a second opinion? Perhaps I should just relax?

Or perhaps I just need Yooper to tell me all is well....

You guys are the best advisors. :mug:

What's wrong, the chat was dead tonight? :p Mashing in at 152 will work just fine. Saf US-04 is usually a good yeast. Before you pitch it try hydrating it in warm water first.

Both Whitelabs 002 and S-04 will finish higher than your average beer yeast. I've had similar results from both. I use S-04 alot on my English styles and like the flavor it imparts.
If you are worried about a high finish then keep it below 152. If your like me and embrace a chewy beer than use 154+ for your mash temp. :)

Craig

I'm resurrecting this thread to help fellow searchers.

S-04's closest match is WLP007, Dry English Ale (Whitbread Dry).

I'm resurrecting this thread to help fellow searchers.

S-04's closest match is WLP007, Dry English Ale (Whitbread Dry).

I am 99% sure that S-04 is the regular Whitbread strain, not the dry one. White Labs doesn't sell it, but Wyeast does as WY1099 Whitbread Ale Yeast.

I've made many split batches with s-04 and WLP002. The S-04 can be a little more bland and perhaps would give more fruitiness and character at higher temperatures (high 60sF) whereas the WLP002 is my choice for nearly all english-style beers and I use it at around 63F. WLP002 is one of my favorite yeasts in general, but I still often use S-04 in a pinch or simply when I don't want to take the time to make a starter.

Back