White Ipa Hop Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marauder

Reaction score
Here is the Grain Bill, based off an Allagash White Clone, with corn sugar for an ABV boost, and honey malt for sweetness to balance the hops...

6 Lbs Belgian Pilsner
2.5lbs Flaked Wheat
1.5lbs White Wheat Malt
.5lbs Corn Sugar
.25 Lbs Honey Malt

should be around 1.057 OG
using Belgian wit ale WLP400 yeast

Allagash White clones usually have some grapefruit orange zest and corainder, I would like to use the hops to take the place of this to the best I can... the grapefruit should be easy to replicate but what about the orange zest? any ideas?

I'm considering Citra and Pacifica right now. Something like 60- 15 - flameout and dry hop. I don't know, let me know what you guys think.

I think anything non-grapefruit citrus and/or tropical would be good. Haven't tried Pacifica yet, but I bet Motueka would be great. Galaxy, Topaz, Mosaic, etc.

TNGabe said:
I think anything non-grapefruit citrus and/or tropical would be good. Haven't tried Pacifica yet, but I bet Motueka would be great. Galaxy, Topaz, Mosaic, etc.

I was thinking mosaic, but I actually did an all mosaic smash and I really like that hop, but have to say I got mostly grapefruit from it, maybe I would work that in too, but I wouldn't want to make it the showcase. I don't know anything about moteuka, I'm going to look this one up, thanks for the lead

I was thinking mosaic, but I actually did an all mosaic smash and I really like that hop, but have to say I got mostly grapefruit from it, maybe I would work that in too, but I wouldn't want to make it the showcase. I don't know anything about moteuka, I'm going to look this one up, thanks for the lead

I'm not sure if it's the same 'NZ Wild Hop' parentafe as Pacifica, but it's 1/3 NZ, 2/3 Saaz. I get orange, others say lemon/lime. Labelpeelers had pounds in low $20s last I looked. I've only had one beer with Mosaic, a white IPA and I just got tons of tropical, no distinct citrus character.

TNGabe said:
I'm not sure if it's the same 'NZ Wild Hop' parentafe as Pacifica, but it's 1/3 NZ, 2/3 Saaz. I get orange, others say lemon/lime. Labelpeelers had pounds in low $20s last I looked. I've only had one beer with Mosaic, a white IPA and I just got tons of tropical, no distinct citrus character.

How was the white ipa? Good? Was it commercial or homebrewed?

Marauder said:
How was the white ipa? Good? Was it commercial or homebrewed?

Homebrew. It was good enough I took my buddies unfinished growler home from the homebrew club meeting and that I'm going over to his place drink some more of it this week.

I think Pacifica is a very good choice. I'm brewing an eerily similar beer this sunday but using Sorachi Ace instead of Citra and no honey malt.

So how is citra as far as a bittering hop, it has high enough AA that I'm sure it can be done, but would I want to? I almost feel like maybe it would be a waste and I should go with one of the usual - magnum warrior bravo etc. for bittering

I use Chinook and cascade 1.5 oz of each total. .5 each 60min .5 each 15min last .5 each 2min. then dry hop 1oz citra secondary. actually i have 1 more hop but its a secret. its added .3 at 15 and .2 2min

im not sure how these would go with the Belgian yeast

Homebrew. It was good enough I took my buddies unfinished growler home from the homebrew club meeting and that I'm going over to his place drink some more of it this week.

Any chance you can post your friend's recipe?

You mentioned Topaz earlier. Do you have any experience, tasting notes or advice on it? I ordered 8oz of it and I'm in a "now what?" phase.

So how is citra as far as a bittering hop, it has high enough AA that I'm sure it can be done, but would I want to? I almost feel like maybe it would be a waste and I should go with one of the usual - magnum warrior bravo etc. for bittering

I think Citra is a great bittering hop, I've used it at 60 and as a wort hop. Not in anything super hoppy though.

Any chance you can post your friend's recipe?

You mentioned Topaz earlier. Do you have any experience, tasting notes or advice on it? I ordered 8oz of it and I'm in a "now what?" phase.

I can ask him what the hop schedule was, I think his beer was probably 50% ea 2 row and wheat malt. Haven't tasted topaz beer, but was hanging out when another friend brewed topaz/galaxy IIPA and topaz was even more resinous than galaxy.

Well, I went to the homebrew shop (with some of your suggestions in mind) and we kicked ideas back and forth for about 20 minutes and landed on this. hahaha so here it is if anyone is interested this is definitely going to be interesting... (I will post back with results after tasting)

60 - .75oz Australian Super Pride
15 - .5 oz Simcoe / .5 oz Motueka
0 - .5 oz Simcoe / .5 oz Motueka
Dry hop 1 oz Mosaic

Back