White instead of flaked wheat…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
Wellll…He…ck. I was making a Belgian witbier I’d made before a few years ago, which called for 6 pounds 2 row and 6 pounds flaked wheat. La de dah, I’m pulling the bucket of white wheat malt down, grindy grindy, mashy mashy, boil and boil. Pitch, put away in the fermenter, relax and have a homebrew, and then, it’s time to copy over from my workbook to my beer log. then trying to register the term “flaked wheat,” in my workbook and the original entry in my log, which I knew was there because I bought some just for that. But that’s not what I used.
I know it will taste good, because the wort was very delicious. But what differences will I see?

That’s what I was thinking/hoping. I got a lot better efficiency than I did when I made it in 2018. I figured that was partly the malt, looking at it.
im just as glad to use up the white wheat anyway. I’d had it awhile.

The white wheat malt has the enzymes (more than barley) to help convert the starch but....the barley has sufficient excess enzymes to convert the flaked wheat. The difference in efficiency is likely in the quality of the milling. You might have milled the wheat malt finer than the crush in the flaked wheat and/or you might have milled the barley finer. Either one would have boosted the efficiency.

The other factors you didn't mention were the mash tun, any rice hulls, and how or if you sparged.

You might have milled the wheat malt finer than the crush in the flaked wheat and/or you might have milled the barley finer. Either one would have boosted the efficiency.

The other factors you didn't mention were the mash tun, any rice hulls, and how or if you sparged.
[/QUOTE]
I do BIAB, full volume, no sparge. There were other factors that were different, I forgot to remember that I'd only had 5oz left of the white wheat, so I went ahead and threw it in too. It was 3 years ago, and I'm probably a better brewer now. The previous time, my LHBS milled it, now I have my own mill. (probably set the same, but maybe a small difference?)
The other thing that will be different when it comes out is the yeast. Last time I used Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit. Unfortunately, this time the bag was DOA, couldn't rouse it in a starter. I got a tip about using Allagash White dregs to make a starter, (that they use the original wit for carbing). I had the sad task of consuming the cans to have enough yeast --somebody had to step up to the plate-- and this morning the blow-off tube is bubbling away. I don't normally use a blow-off, but the force of the starter convinced me this time.

Back