White Growth on Top of Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saubrey

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing hard cider and I decided to try and make it using just wild yeasts. About 2 weeks in, this white film began growing along the surface. Is there any way to save the cider? Do I need to resign myself to the fact that I am making vinegar instead? Or do I just need to toss the whole thing away?

Any help/advice appreciated.

This is my first time brewing hard cider and I decided to try and make it using just wild yeasts. About 2 weeks in, this white film began growing along the surface. Is there any way to save the cider? Do I need to resign myself to the fact that I am making vinegar instead? Or do I just need to toss the whole thing away?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Yep, that's an infection- but it could be from the wild yeast as it looks like brettanomyces. It isn't vinegar bacteria, most likely. However, I would definitely not have that much headspace in there. It needs to have very little headspace to protect it from oxygen loving bacteria (like the one that creates vinegar, acetobacter).

Back