White film on top of my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRitter449

Reaction score
Have an all-grain stout that has a white film laying on top of the fermenting beer. It has been fermenting just shy of 2 weeks. Is it completely lost or maybe just star San residue?

Have an all-grain stout that has a white film laying on top of the fermenting beer. It has been fermenting just shy of 2 weeks. Is it completely lost or maybe just star San residue?

Picture would be helpful. Most likely you can rack from beneath it if the sample smells and tastes good.

NewWestBrewer said:
Picture would be helpful. Most likely you can rack from beneath it if the sample smells and tastes good.
Here is a pic of what it looks like

image-2415811651.jpg

It's kind of hard to see...it might be the beginning of a pellicle, but it's hard to say for sure. It won't make you sick, so try a sample and see how it tastes. Even if it is an infection, that doesn't mean it's an automatic dumper.

I was looking at the growth in the near end of the pic. See that broken ice pack stuff? Looks like the lacto infection I had recently,the first stage. It then turns to a grainy white film with slimy bubbles on it. After that,the bubbles start looking furry & get this sky blur fuzzy dot in the middle.

Ok thanks for the help! I tasted a sample and it wasn't bad so I bottled to see what will happen after the next few weeks. Thanks again everyone.

Back