White film on top of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CaptZav

Reaction score
I brewed a dry Irish stout (~5%abv) awhile ago, bottled 3 gallons, and then split the remaining 2 gallons into 2 separate 1 gallon carboys to age with 1/2lb of frozen cherries I bought from whole foods. The initial bottles were really good, but I recently checked on my aging remainder and found that one of the gallons has a white film at the top, and the other does not. I am normally pretty meticulous about cleaning and sanitizing equipment. I have done some searching and it seems to likely be some lactobacillus infection, but I am still a little concerned. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions relating to this?

Bensiff

Reaction score
Tossed in cherries...probably got yourself some bugs from them; but, I'd tend to think brett would survive better than lacto.

djfriesen

Reaction score
Ya, since it's only in the one fermenter, I'd guess it came from the cherries, or they would all have the pellicle. As stated, I would think Brett would have a better chance of taking hold in an already-fermented beer. IIRC, unless the lacto was there from the beginning (ie before fermentation), it would probably have trouble getting going in the alcohol. Don't quote me on that though.