White film on homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsandiego1833

Reaction score
Hey I'm a active duty Marine in San Diego so my availability to brew is limited, but I recently started a amber brew, I noticed when it came time to bottle, there is this white film on the top on the brew in the carboy, now when it came to bottle i noticed a filmy substance at the top.

First, thank you for your service. Always nice to have servicemen in the forums. Can you post any pics? Plenty of guys here who are good at identifying that stuff.

I went ahead and bottled the beer, I just left the last little bit out of the bottles, now even when I bottled the beer the white film re appeared, I'm very anal about my sanitization and ever since I switched from one step to star San this happened. Here is a pic

image-197521316.jpg

image-341867833.jpg

I have similar every summer when my fermentation temps get up there. I think I notice a little off flavor, but not too much. I would bottle as you have, and then the monitor.

What yeast did you use?

Back