White film in beer - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurley195

Reaction score
I have a white film that appeared about a week ago. I am brewing an oatmeal stout partial mash kit from Northernbrewer. I cleaned my carboys with PB cleaner and brush, rinsed well and sanitized with starsan, no rinse. Sanitized each item that contacted beer. I (think) I was sanitary, but I am questioning the white film. The beer was in the primary for 2 weeks and now in the secondary 2 weeks (4 weeks total) today. My OG was 1.050. It should be done fermenting and krausen was gone in the primary a couple weeks ago. The film is not hairy or stringy looking so it doesn't appear to be moldy/infected. The film is more like an oil slick look but is very white.

Any help on identifying this as normal or infection would be a help.

Thanks!

Such a thin slick I could not get a PICTURE.. Well, I drank a sample when checking FG just now. at 1.012 appears done. Sample was GOOD tasting. Hops malt balanced, no off taste sensed. The film stayed on top after putting my turkey baster in a few times and a small amount of splashing. The film is very thin and not really much on top, just a "slick". I guess it had me worried because it was so white and a little stringy looking, but not stringy in the sense of a growth just the slick pattern. Any comments on that stringy look? No bubble or anything else going on.

I've had white blotches or streaks on top of my beer after fermentation was apparently complete. It has never affected the beer in any way that I can discern. If you are still concerned when it's time to rack your beer, just leave that stuff behind. If your beer looks , smells and tastes good, then I'd say enjoy it when it's ready. It's good. Don't worry, have a homebrew. :tank:

I have seen what sounds to be very similar. It is on top of my bowls of oatmeal. Could this be forming from the oatmeal in the recipe?
Remove some of this film and give it the taste test. If all you taste is your beer you should be okay.

I had a stout with crushed coffee beans added to primary the top of that was a slick oily mess tasted great though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back