White crust in kegs? Limestone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamike

Reaction score
Hi, someone gave me some used kegs. I used Oxiclean, TSP for cleaning. Everything is clean but there is a thin little white crust (looks like calcium or limestone). Even if I rub it, it doesn't go away. Someone know what it is and how to remove it? I'd like to use these kegs.

Thanks.

An acid rinse will remove that. Use a dilute vinegar solution or star san and it should come off.

CLR its is amasing stuff when you are dealing with non organic stuff like lime and rust

g10430.jpg

1394533930_e1e4232698.jpg

Excuse this stupid question, but still noob with kegs, is corny pepsi style and sankey coke style? If yes, I have both (pepsi and coke) but the one with the crust is a coke. If not, can someone explain me the difference?
Thanks

Ok thanks. Can I use metal scrubby or it will create scratches for infections and particles?

It's likely Calcium Oxalate or BeerStone.

Try a thick paste of Bar Keepers friend and let it set for a while.

I wouldn't suggest using a metal scrubby as it could cause rust.

Ok thanks. Can I use metal scrubby or it will create scratches for infections and particles?

As mentioned, not metal- a green scrubbie and BKF (& elbow grease) works wonders.

To answer a previous question, coke kegs are pin-lock and pepsi are ball-lock, both are cornelius keg bodies.

Back