White chocolate wheat recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on brewing a white chocolate wheat beer?

We recently had grand armory’s white chocolate blonde, which was good. I have ingredients for a wheat beer. I see some breweries do make some good white chocolate wheat beers (e.g. Sonoran White Chocolate Ale | Sonoran Brewing Company).

what could i add to my wheat beer to give it a nice subtle white chocolate flavor?

Some combo of?
1) vanilla beans and cocoa nibs in vodka
2) natural white chocolate flavoring (eg Ghirardelli Premium Sauce White Chocolate Flavored 16 oz Squeeze Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WJV2LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K0TQEbW910YGK)
3) white creme de cocoa
4) white chocolate chips (oils will kill head retention?)

any experience with this?

No experience with it, but I know that oils will kill head retention and white Crème de cocoa isn't white chocolate. It's just chocolate liqueur that's called white because it's clear.
The flavor and coconut of white chocolate, if I'm correct, is from cocoa butter and doesn't have any of the cocoa powder.

I am a nerd, but I don't know how to do this. I will happily do some research. But I know that checking off a few methods will help narrow it down.

To me, white chocolate flavoring might be your best bet from the list you provided.

I did a little digging and cocoa butter, sugar, milk and vanilla are the main ingredients.
So I was wrong about cocoa nibs, as that would work along with vanilla and maybe lactose? Non-fermentable sugars with a creamier mouthfeel.

Im not an expert brewer, just a nerd.

Last edited:
Cool, that’s the way i was leaning. I may buy some wheat beer do some taste tests between nibs/vanilla and white chocolate flavoring. Figure out which i like best and how much to add.

edit:

Not as important with wheat beers, but I don’t really like opening my fermenter up after high krausen. I do closed transfers. So that’s why i would be doing taste test ahead of time. i realize i could brew a mini batch to test on, but I’m in a hurry.

Last edited:
Did you settle on anything yet?
My research said cocoa nibs, vanilla and lactose. But I'm sure there's more than one way to get a cat drunk.

Haha. Yeah, I’m going to go with lactose, nibs, and vanilla. It’s like a white “stout” as posted above.

I searched for recipes for white stouts without good results. Brewed an extract kit from Briess that was ok. Still looking.

Back