white chocolate pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
Hey guys I am about to put my experimentAle Pale in the secondary and I have began to wonder...The recipe here says i should add the Creme de Cocoa while priming. I am wanting to put this in a keg after secondary. Should I just add it in to the secondary a day before I keg? Here is the recipe and you guys tell me what you think. Also anyone tried this brew before? I was bored with what i have been making so i thought i would mix it up.

White Chocolate Pale Ale
by Scott Russell

5 gallons, extract with grains OG = 1.048, FG = 1.012, IBU = 24

Ingredients:

8 oz. light crystal malt (30° Lovibond)
4 oz. malted wheat
6 lbs. light malt
8 oz. white chocolate chips
4 AAU Cascade hops (2/3 oz. of 6% alpha acid)
4 AAU Willamette hops (2/3 oz. of 6% alpha acid)
2 AAU Tettnang hops (1/2 oz. of 4% alpha acid)
1 pint starter American Ale yeast (White Labs WLP008 or Wyeast 1272)
1/2 cup dry malt extract to prime
1 cup white creme de cocoa

Step by Step:

Steep crystal and wheat malts in 2.5 gallons of cold water. Gradually raise heat to 150° F, hold 30 minutes. Remove grains and rinse them back into the pot with hot water. Stir in dry malt and white chocolate chips, bring to boil. Boil 15 minutes, add Cascade. Boil 20 minutes, add Willamette. Boil 20 minutes, remove from heat. Add Tettnang, steep 15 minutes. Remove hops. Add wort to fermenter with enough chilled, pre-boiled water to make 5.25 gallons. Cool to 70° F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for seven days, rack to secondary and age in a cool dark place for two weeks. Prime, add creme de cocoa and bottle. Condition cool and dark for a month.

Primary #1: White Chocolate Pale
Secondary #1: Prepped for Pale
On Tap:
Up Next: Wit of some kind. Starting on sat

I would just add it in when you keg. Then again, I don't secondary and put everything into a keg.

So once I add CO2 to the beer with the creme it will mix it in ya? Have you ever tried this recipe or anything like it?

Oh and i noticed you have a belgian wit. Is that at all comparable in taste to Lost Coast Brewery's Great White? or Blue Moon? I am gonna be making one on sunday and I am in my last minute attempts to obtain info.

Just add the creme de cocoa into your keg before racking, and rack from your secondary onto it in the keg.

Yeah, just do like Ice9 said and you'll be fine.

Yes, my wit is similar to Blue Moon (but better I think). Make sure you use Wit yeast.

Oh, and no, I've never tried anything like what you are brewing.

Latest posts

Back