White bubbly surface?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAOfarms

Reaction score
Hi there, newbies here and brewing our first two rounds of wine. Both are from wild Mustang grapes; one is a white, the other a red. We just transferred both into carboys about four or five days ago and didn't realize that you're supposed to top up to near capacity until about day three. We topped up, and now two days later there is a white bubbly surface on both. The photo is of the white, which has a ropiness to it; the red doesn't really have that and has been the slower of the two to ferment. Is this just a secondary fermentation? When transferring to the carboys we did add two crushed Campden tablets to each carboy when we transferred. Please forgive our ignorance, we thought this was going to be as simple as the recipe sounded but these curveballs are killing us! Is this normal or if not, can we fix it? I hate to toss the whole batch, but it's better than the alternative.

frothy wine.jpg

Hrm. This is the beginner's beer forum... hopefully, someone who frequents this area is "cross trained" in both.

You might also want to post in the wine forum.

Good luck!

p.s. - were this beer, I'd worry about the white stuff... but I literally have no idea when it comes to wine.

Back