Whitbread 1099

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks in advance for any replies. I've been on about an 8 year hiatus from home brewing, and recently got back into it and wondering why I ever stopped. My question is this, my last brew was a robust porter and I pitched 2 packs of wyeast whitbread 1099 at 65*F. I noticed that the packs didn't swell that much but I know that is perfectly normal for some strains. The thing is I'm reaching the 72 hour mark with no airlock activity and no krausen. Has any one else had such a long lag time with this strain? OG was 59 and the brew is being stored at 67F. Thanks!

Hello all and thanks in advance for any replies. I've been on about an 8 year hiatus from home brewing, and recently got back into it and wondering why I ever stopped. My question is this, my last brew was a robust porter and I pitched 2 packs of wyeast whitbread 1099 at 65*F. I noticed that the packs didn't swell that much but I know that is perfectly normal for some strains. The thing is I'm reaching the 72 hour mark with no airlock activity and no krausen. Has any one else had such a long lag time with this strain? OG was 59 and the brew is being stored at 67F. Thanks!

I have gone past the 72 hour mark, but not much. It won't hurt anything for it to sit another day. Do you have a good seal on your bung/lid?

Sanitize a turkey baster, and take a gravity reading. See if it's moved at all. If not, and there's no sign of a krausen yet, pitch a pack of Safale S04. It'll have a similar character, and is known for short lag times.

I have gone past the 72 hour mark, but not much. It won't hurt anything for it to sit another day. Do you have a good seal on your bung/lid?

I believe so because I've checked several times, and light pressure on the lid moves the airlock. Thanks for your response.

EdgeBrewer said:
I believe so because I've checked several times, and light pressure on the lid moves the airlock. Thanks for your response.

Mine does that but it won't bubble when fermenting. Check the gravity.

The was some airlock activity this morning, thanks everyone for their replies. Strike up another one for RDWHAHB.

Back