Whiskey Sour Berliner weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the sour mash bug right now, and just saw the UPS truck drive by with my 50L fresh dump Whiskey Barrel. I have been trying to think of some thing light to go in to it, and then it dawned on me to do a Berliner weisse, and then age it for a month in the whiskey barrel.

Sound good?

Barrel aged berliner weiss sort of turns me off. Its such a light, refreshing beer that I wouldn't want to add any wood flavor to it, I think it would kind of get in the way of the tart, refreshing quality that works well for that beer.

Hey I'm no expert. For all I know it could be excellent, just doesn't sound like what I'm looking for out of a berliner weiss.

Make the berliner weisse, then pitch something at like 1.100 on the cake, and put THAT in the whiskey barrel.
As an aside, you were looking for people to contribute to a cuvee de tomme clone awhile ago, and I declined as I wasn't confident enough in my abilities. That's no longer the case, so let me know if you want some help filling that whiskey barrel!

Yes I have one more 12.5 gallon batch to fill up the 55gallon Brandy barrel CdT project. I want to see how to work with a big barrel once, If it works out well I plan on seeking out one more and including people on it. It was kinda big endeavor to see if I could pull it off alone. I had to basically build a whole new system to brew batches that size at that gravity. But I'm so close now.

I pitched the sour blend last weekend, and should be filling it late February.

My plan with that one is to pull off 20 gallons a year and replace it with fresh beer.

As for the Berliner, may be that will be the wrong style, I'll have to think about it. I think if you are careful and don't leave it in the Oak for too long, you can get a good infsion of flavor with out over powering the beer. I want to keep it light, I've had a lot of over the top barrel aged beers. I want to see if I can do some thing subtle. With a sour note, with out other bugs.

What kind of sour mashing do you do for your Berliner? Use wild bugs from the grain, yogurt, or pitch a culture? Do you use lacto in the primary as well?

Barrel aged berliner weiss sort of turns me off. Its such a light, refreshing beer that I wouldn't want to add any wood flavor to it, I think it would kind of get in the way of the tart, refreshing quality that works well for that beer.

Hey I'm no expert. For all I know it could be excellent, just doesn't sound like what I'm looking for out of a berliner weiss.

I agree, seems like even a month in the barrel would overpower the beer. Nothing wrong with going sour in a bourbon barrel, but I would go stronger/darker.

Try adding ~1 tbls of bourbon to a glass of berliner weisse and see if you like it.

What kind of sour mashing do you do for your Berliner? Use wild bugs from the grain, yogurt, or pitch a culture? Do you use lacto in the primary as well?

I have not made a Breliner yet. I have just been experimenting with sour mashes. I just mash like normal, then adding cold water to bring the mash down to 120-125. then I toss in a hand full of non milled grains.I let that go between 24-48hr, sparge and boil. I have a culture of Laco but have not used it yet. the handful of grain technique has been working well.

I'll try the bourbon laced Berliner. That sounds like a good place to start.

Maybe I can work some thing up that can get me where I want to go with this.

:off:

Can a Berliner Weisse be brewed with a higher ABV? The style usually has a super low ABV, right?

Would brewing one with, say a 5%ABV be too high?

Style sounds good, I would like to try it.

I have not made a Breliner yet. I have just been experimenting with sour mashes. I just mash like normal, then adding cold water to bring the mash down to 120-125. then I toss in a hand full of non milled grains.I let that go between 24-48hr, sparge and boil. I have a culture of Laco but have not used it yet. the handful of grain technique has been working well.

I'll try the bourbon laced Berliner. That sounds like a good place to start.

Maybe I can work some thing up that can get me where I want to go with this.

Have you been fermenting like normal after then, with Sacc.?

:off:

Can a Berliner Weisse be brewed with a higher ABV? The style usually has a super low ABV, right?

Would brewing one with, say a 5%ABV be too high?

Style sounds good, I would like to try it.

Theres one commercial example listed in the bjcp that gets to 5% abv, its about the only german example I've ever seen in nice beer shops. I bought that and a bottle of "the brewery's" (or something) when I was tasting the styles. the 1809 still feels nice and refreshing despite the upped gravity.

If you see it, go for it.

Have you been fermenting like normal after then, with Sacc.?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been in Utah riding.

Yes, I have been fermenting as normal with Sacc. The first two I used the bugs I cultured up from a sierra Nevada Killerweissen. And the one I did Thursday got WLP080, cream ale yeast.

I was reading that Breliner's have a slight brett flavor to then. so it might be appropriate to use Brett C. secondary fermentation to get a true Berliner.

Back