Whiskey in the lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IckySticky

Reaction score
I came home today and found the little woman tamping the lid on her first brew :) Only thing is, she didn't know you need liquid in the air lock.

We don't have a wort chiller, so I knew it had already been a few hours of exposure, and she had used up the last of the sanitizer, so I grabbed the only booze in the house: Kessler's.

I don't expect any problems, but just thought I'd ask for anyone else's thoughts. I've only got a few brews under my belt.

I use my tap water. Once fermentation starts there is air and then CO2 coming out the airlock. I think the airlock is mostly to keep the fruit flies from getting to the wort.

Booze or diluted StarSan works fine. I wouldn't use tap water on the off chance it could get sucked into the fermenter.

I prefer vodka in the rare times I use an airlock (extended aging, seconarying etc.). For active fermentation I just leave the lid loose or leave the airlock hole (if the lid has one drilled) open. Not a lot of fruit flies in my house.

I use tap water, anything else gets too expensive. I know people say vodka but I just as soon use what is available. If she tamped the lid during the first day or two your fine, the yeast need some oxygen and they're pumping out co2 which should "purge".

I typically age for a longer period and even using water I have to adjust for evaporation. I don't know what liquor would do.

Back