Whiskey barrel fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried a wooden whiskey barrel as a fermentation chamber?

You know the ones cut in half sold as garden centers?

I have experience using canvas water buckets while camping and I've noticed that the water stored in a canvas bucket stays noticeably cooler than water stored in plastic. This is because the canvas wicks water through which then evaporates performing the same function as your sweat.

In theory the wooden barrels should do the same thing. But I'm not sure if the wood will wick water fast enough to make it worthwhile.

Generally you want to use barrels for wild yeast due to the fact that oxygen will diffuse into your barrel over time. It can be counterproductive for normal beers.

Ooops. I don't mean store the beer directly in the wooden container. I meant put the carboy or primary bucket in the wooden cask, surround the carboy/bucket with water and let the evaporation through the wood sides keep the fermentation temps under control.

Does that make better sense?

Ooops. I don't mean store the beer directly in the wooden container. I meant put the carboy or primary bucket in the wooden cask, surround the carboy/bucket with water and let the evaporation through the wood sides keep the fermentation temps under control.

Oh I see. Gotcha.

I'm not sure then. Looks like you will have to experiment with and without and get back to us. Interesting theory, just not sure how practical it is.

Back