Whirpool and Flame-out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I am on my second batch of a Stone Ruination clone recipe and I tried a couple things I haven't done to my beers in the past. The first is a Whirpool before transferring to primary, this was after chilling wort down with immersion chiller. The other thing I did was with my 4 oz Flame out hop addition. I usually just start chilling my beer when I add my flame-out hops and have good results. This time I let the hops sit in the wort for about 45 minutes with flame-out before chilling and whirpooling. What can I expect from this beer that may be different from my last batch? There was a huge amount of cold break material that I normally transfer to primary left in brew pot. Will that make for a different taste or just a clearer beer? Thanks so much for the help.

Peter

A whirlpool will lead to a cleaner beer in your primary, as you have found. As far as the tast differing, you will have cleaner beer, but most trub settles out anyways in your fermentor. Beer should be similar

I am curious why you added hops this way? Wort was maybe down to 180* by the time you started chilling? Why not just pitch them in at 5 minutes with a rolling boil? If you want to add flame out hops add them at flame out and chill. The contamination clocks start ticking once you turn that burner off. I don’t see any benefit

Back