Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i'm getting ready to get a new kettle and have tossed around the idea of getting something with a whirlpool inlet (like the stout tank or Morebeer kettle). Here's my question. What do I gain from whirlpooling? other than helping move the break material to the center of the kettle. I have a CFC, so i would not be whilrpooling on the cold side.

Are my beers suffering from not whirlpooling?

Like you said, it moves break material to the center of the kettle and significantly improves chilling with an immersion chiller. If neither of those things benefit you, there's no point.

So i'm getting ready to get a new kettle and have tossed around the idea of getting something with a whirlpool inlet (like the stout tank or Morebeer kettle). Here's my question. What do I gain from whirlpooling? other than helping move the break material to the center of the kettle. I have a CFC, so i would not be whilrpooling on the cold side.

Are my beers suffering from not whirlpooling?

I would think you could whirlpool for 10-15 min then let things settle for about 30 min, then you should have pretty clear wort going through the chiller.

You didn't mention that you have electric elements (I do), I use my CFC to recirculate the wort until I reach very near pitching temps. If you do this (w/o elements disrupting the wort flow) you will have a nice cone at the bottom of the BK.

BTW that cone forms very quickly and does indeed work very well. I wish I could still do that but would not give up the benefits of electric to achieve it.

You didn't mention that you have electric elements (I do), I use my CFC to recirculate the wort until I reach very near pitching temps. If you do this (w/o elements disrupting the wort flow) you will have a nice cone at the bottom of the BK.

BTW that cone forms very quickly and does indeed work very well. I wish I could still do that but would not give up the benefits of electric to achieve it.

electric elements as in a heating element in your kettle????

I whirlpool for 2 minutes and let it rest for ten before running it through a CFC. Even with a heating element I still get a decent cone, though stop drawing within a gallon of wort still in the pot because it starts drawing hops and break. (Doing15 gal batches). Beers are crystal clear.

I whirl pool for ten minutes then rest for ten. I use whirl floc 15 minutes before the end of boil to hold the trub together. I highly recommend whirl pooling. It will improve your beer flavors and your fermentation as well.

It will improve your beer flavors and your fermentation as well.

How it affects taste and especially how it improves fermentation?

I have CFC (brewing w/HERMS) and I used to whirlpool few minutes before draining to fermenter, but somehow I concluded that benefit from doing that is not that huge so I'm bothering with it anymore..
Especially since I am adding hops in bag so they are not problem, and cold break will eventually settle in fermentor.

Back