Whirlpooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamdad

Reaction score
What's up y'all! I'm not really a noob to brewing, but I sure am to this technique. So riddle me this:

When whirlpooling after chilling the wort, is there a rule of thumb how vigorous of a rotation you should get going to allow the trub to collect in the center of the brewpot (i.e.: how long should one stir to get the proper vortex)?

I checked the article on the wiki, but it doesn't address this particular question.

In the meantime, I'll RDWHAHB!

I'm not sure there is a rule, but I will get mine rotating until the cone in the center reaches about halfway down the kettle. Now I do this pre-chilling (I use a CFC) so I start it up slowly to avoid any HSA but even then it only takes me about 10 seconds to get it going. I then let it coast to a stop on it's own and then begin my run off through my chiller.

Thanks! That's just the info I was looking for. I figured it would prolly be that simple, but some confirmation was nice.

Latest posts

Back