Whirlpooling/Counterflow Chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
I have been modifying my new 15 gallon pot to a kettle and am thinking about puting a port so i can whirlpool. I also just finished my counter flow chiller and got me thinking one what is the right order to finish up my brew day.

Should I whirlpool, let the hop cone form (15 minutes of settling) then run it through the counterflow chiller into my ale bucket? Or should I run the wort through the CFC then to the pump for the whirlpool? Or is whirl pooling best for an immersion chiller only? I read the article about the last hop addition while whirl pooling.

I don't want to gunk up my 3/8" cooper line with all of those hop sediments. Just wondering what everyone else is doing?

I use a 15 g BK & pump my wort through a CFC & then through a copper tube that hangs over the side of the BK & extends almost to the bottom of the kettle. It is bent in such a way as to create a whirlpool.
It usually takes about 15-20 minutes to get to 68-70°F.
I then transfer directly from my BK into my BB carboy leaving a nice mound of trub in the kettle.
It is easy to flush the CFC w/ water & Saniclean after use. You can also clean the copper by filling w/ StarSan & letting it sit for 10 min then flush.
I use hop baskets from Arbor Fabricating to reduce hop sludge.

Great than I am not going to plug up my cfc while whirl pooling. I was planning on dropping down a pipe like you did. Did you drill a hole or just clamp it some how?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just use a clamp to hold it flush to the side of my BK. I also have a 90 degree fitting w/ a nipple as a pick up on the inside of my ball valve. It can be moved up or down as the wort is drained. This allows you you pick up less trub. It (trub) slides under the pickup as the level drops.

Back