Whirlpool???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
What is the best and easiest (I understand these may be competing techniques) to get a whirlpool in a 10 gallon boilermaker?

I do not have a marsh pump yet... I currently cooling with a plate chiller (gravity) and a pond pump pushing ice water. Sounds like I should get a march pump and some extra tubing to recirculate for a whirlpool before diverting to the ferm tank.

Is getting a march pump and pumping from the ball valve, thru the plate chiller and then back into the side of the boiler tank the recommended technique for my gear?

I do not have a marsh pump yet... I currently cooling with a plate chiller (gravity) and a pond pump pushing ice water. Sounds like I should get a march pump and some extra tubing to recirculate for a whirlpool before diverting to the ferm tank.

Is getting a march pump and pumping from the ball valve, thru the plate chiller and then back into the side of the boiler tank the recommended technique for my gear?

Yes, that would work fine. It's my set-up exactly for a keggle. You can bend copper tubing to the radius of your kettle. I get a good whirlpool in the BK using a march pump and Shirron plate chiller.

a true whirlpool will require a pump. pickup in the center at the bottom, and output at the top angled into the water. together they will create a whirlpool in the direction of the output.

One idea:
Stir it with a spoon while the wort chills down with an immersion chiller.

Another idea:
Recirc your wort back into the pot via march pump, passing through your chiller. Have the wort enter the pot at an angles to start your whirl pool.

I'm not sure what you are going to do other than just drain the pot through your chiller. I doubt you want to stir it with a spoon and wait for the wort to quit spinning while your hops are still generating IBU's.

Latest posts

Back