whirlpool vs immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siso80

Reaction score
I have been listening to CYBI and Brew Strong for a while, and been homebrewing for 4 years, i prefer a minimal setup but am always happy to add Equipment to my rig that adds quality to my finished product.

I keep hearing about whirlpool chilling and have done my research about the technique but i just cant see what all the fuss is about. In the humble opinion of ya'll can you tell me any differences between using a whirlpool and manually moving up and down my immersion chiller. To me it seems there is no difference and the 10 minutes of moving that chiller up and down significantly outweighs the time and effort needed to clean the hoses and pumps of the whirlpool.

I can see how a whirlpool or immersion chiller are better than a plate chiller. I think cleaning the inside of the plate chiller is not easy and you also have a lot of hot wort just sitting there waiting to be chilled. But what are the major benefits of the whirlpool...

thanks
Jeremy

That nice cone of trub at the end, for starters. If you run a recirculation mash, like many people do, there aren't really any extra parts to clean afterwards. Plus, you know, who wants to jangle an immersion chiller up and down for ten minutes? :D

Back