Whirlpool vs. Cold Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatspin

Reaction score
I've noticed quite a few references that say whirlpool hopping for 30-60 minutes is a great way to amp up the hop aromas in an IPA. Does this mean that rapid chilling to get a good cold break is worth sacrificing in an IPA? Maybe any residual flavors or haziness gets overpowered by the hop aroma and haze. Any thoughts?

I've tried that several times but frankly am I not terribly satisfied with my results. I get better aroma and flavor by tossing in hops right at the beginning of my immersion cooling which takes 30-45 mins generally, dropping the temp to 100 or so in 10-15. A long whirlpool in my experience adds additional bitterness but not as much flavor or aroma. I suspect practicalities and economics are rather more the reason for breweries using a whirlpool and since I am not subject to such considerations I'm quite happy eliminating that step myself!

Of course YMMV and WTF etc,

Steve da sleeve

Back