• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Whirlpool specs with Falconer's Flight Blend? Time and Temp?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TrickyDick

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a Pale ale with Falconer's Flight Blend and want to do a hop stand/whirlpool. What's a good temp & time to hold the whirlpool at for these hops to get maximum impact?
Thinking somewhere between 185-160, but not sure.

TD

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never used those hops before but I always wp @ 180 for about 15 min then allow the temp to drop . Once I start my cfc it drops pretty quick , depending on the water temp of course . I think your plan is fine . Keep us posted on these hops . I'm really curious .

OP
TrickyDick

TrickyDick

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've used them before and they make for a nice Pale Ale, but I don't recall my steeping schedule.
Kinda been on a brewing hiatus since 2014/early 15. I think there has been much progress in hop research and usage, so without doing any of the heavy lifting was hoping to get some crib notes on what to do.
I use a CFC/Whirlpool combo then run off into ferm tank, so I have a lot of flexibility in steeping/standing/whirpool time and temp.

OP
TrickyDick

TrickyDick

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well,

Since I didn't get any specific recommendations here is my plan:

Flame Out 1oz, whirlpooled about ten minutes before I got the CFC setup and going and took a few more minutes to drop to 180.

Planned 2.5 whirlpool oz additions
I think I'll do .5 oz at 180,170, 160,150,140 ten minutes each.

TD