Whirlpool port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I currently have a 10 gallon kettle with a ball valve. I would like to be able to whirlpool with a pump. Is there a way to accomplish this without drilling a new port? Also, what kind of pump is used for this?

If I were to stay with my current setup and manually create a whirlpool would the result be much different compared to using a pump? Just trying to decide if it would be worth getting a new kettle with a port to whirlpool or just stay with what I have.

Thanks

You don't have to make a hole for the whirlpool return. Check out Jamil's article, http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

IME you're much better off using a pump; you'll get a more consistent whirlpool without stirring up all the sediment and you'll be able to whirlpool as long as you want. I use a plate chiller on mine but I'll do hop stands where I'll drop the temp below isomerization temps then hold it and whirlpool the hop additions for 20 minutes. I can't imagine manually stirring it for that long. Pump-wise, a pump with a magnetic coupling is what most use...March, Chugger, and Little Giant are the most common.

Back